PMI Worldwide is looking for an Industrial Design Director to join our team. You are passionate about consumer products and are an advocate for the aspects of a product’s design that not only deliver on the functionality and aesthetic, but also on the consumer experience and enjoyment of the product. You will lead the Industrial Design team, and work closely with Product Management, Engineering, and R&D teams to drive design through collaborating on solutions that deliver on the expectations of the consumer, from initial opportunity to final production.
Are you innovative? Are you passionate about bringing cutting edge and sustainable products to life? If you answered yes to both of these questions, then please join us in creating a better world through our products!
- This person will lead Industrial Design team, in guiding the team’s creation and execution of design work, from concept to design finalization. You will lead storytelling for the products that you and the team create, while also articulating the business reasons driving the design decisions.
- In this role you will get to lead and inspire a team of designers and together will help determine aesthetic direction, materials, construction methods, mechanisms, shape, finishes, and manufacturing processes of final products. You will also be responsible for ID team resource management: reviewing project status, refining project schedules, communicating with cross-functional peers and leadership, etc.
- Partner with leadership to determine product design strategy and priorities
- Drive ideation sessions with the ID team as well as cross-functional brainstorms, lead ID team research activities focused on users, trends, materials, and processes that may be applied towards development of future products.
Other responsibilities and nice to haves:
- Mentor and develop the ID team members, identifying educational and professional development opportunities
- Ownership of ID team processes while continuously identifying, investigating, and adapting tools and techniques for product and process improvements
- Successful track record delivering a constant flow of projects with at times aggressive timelines
- Excellent analytical ability with a passion for product development and problem solving
- Work with outside consultants when necessary to drive design projects outside scope of internal team skill sets
- Partner with peer leadership across disciplines to drive brand growth through design and innovation, as well as foster cross-functional collaboration between the Industrial Design, Product Management, Engineering, and R&D teams
- Champion and contribute to PMI’s efforts toward ‘design for sustainability’
- Strong interpersonal skills, communicating effectively with individuals and large groups (internal and external) at all organizational levels
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Industrial Design
- 15+ years of experience as a practicing designer for consumer hard goods
- 5+ years leading an Industrial Design team or studio (consumer hard goods preferred)
- Expert with Solidworks, Keyshot (preferred) or other rendering software, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Solid skills in Sketching and conceptualization skills
- Ability to work accurately with close attention to detail
- Solid knowledge of ‘Design for Manufacturability’ methods
- Advanced knowledge of product manufacturing including: plastic injection molding, metal forming, CMF techniques
- Relevant experience working with, and presenting to customers
- Direct experience communicating directly with engineers and factories (Asia based factories preferred)
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally up to 15% of the time
- Reports to the SVP Global Product & Creative Development
About PMI Worldwide: Established in 1983, privately held PMI Worldwide (PMI) designs, manufactures, and markets innovative food and beverage solutions designed for busy lifestyles. Our two most recognizable brands, Stanley® and Aladdin®, are both over 100 years old. PMI also operates a thriving private- label business for globally recognized companies. PMI is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with offices in San Francisco, Shanghai, China; Manila, Philippines; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; and Amsterdam, Netherlands. More information can be found at www.pmi-worldwide.com
To apply for this job email your details to Careers@Pmi-worldwide.com