At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for low-income Americans. Over 4 million people use our first product, Fresh EBT, to manage government benefits on their EBT card, save money, and earn income. Read more about the impact of Fresh EBT here, here, and here. Now we’re expanding further into the financial services space by building new products that help our users manage the other aspects of their financial lives.
Propel’s IT Manager will manage, maintain, and organize system wide information, security audits and updates, and ensure our office equipment sets our hybrid team up for success. As our first IT hire, the right person for this role is self-motivated, curious, and excited to own their own domain! This is a wonderful opportunity for an investigative and creative mind because you’ll balance security, vulnerability testing, and exploration with policy creation and procedure drafting.
In addition to increasing our security and best practices, you’ll be responsible for managing and provisioning software and hardware, and own the HQ AV needs to help set up our hybrid team for success. If you’re passionate about infosec and impacting the lives of Americans with limited income, this is the role for you!
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or other government benefits.
- Immediate opportunity to make an impact
- A get-stuff-done and fun and caring culture
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- Competitive compensation (including equity) and excellent benefits
- A dog-friendly office based in Downtown Brooklyn (with the opportunity to wfh a few days a week)
What you’ll do
- Maintain and improve the security plan for best standards and practices for the company.
- Install software that is created to protect sensitive information, such as firewalls, VPN, and data encryption programs.
- Monitor the company’s networks to keep an eye out for any security breaches and participate in investigating it if one does occur.
- Manage employee provisioning and access levels to key hardware and software systems and databases
- Help co-workers when they need to install a new program or learn about security procedures.
- Manage, provision, and troubleshoot our team’s software and hardware (laptops, Google Business, etc) access
- Manage and maintain DNS entities, systems integrations, data backups, and critical software updates
- Play a critical role in ensuring hybrid team events are executed successfully by creating AV systems that support and enable team communication and collaboration
What you have
- 3+ years experience in Information Security (monitoring tools, security / IT policies, security audits, permission management etc)
- Experience with IT (software and hardware) account provisioning
- Experience working with AWS technologies
- Experience or interest in setting up AV equipment for a hybrid team
- Excellent written and oral communication skills: Team members rave about the clarity of your manuals and the kindness you employ whenever there is a technical hiccup
- Curious nature that implores you to stay on the cutting edge of infosec best practices
- Ability to and excitement at the prospect of joining a fast-paced startup looking to serve the interests of Americans with limited incomes!