6 River Systems (6RS) is a Shopify (SHOP) company leading the way to faster fulfillment. E-commerce has changed the world and our solutions power winning warehouses of the future. We’re revolutionizing warehouse automation with collaborative mobile robots driven by artificial intelligence and advanced cloud-based software.
As a Lead Operations Researcher, you will report to the CTO where you will design, prototype, and implement new algorithms to increase the efficiency of our products. This is an opportunity to significantly contribute to what makes 6 River Systems unique and effective. You will be working on a small 2 person team that will be responsible for optimizing the flow of materials inside the fulfillment center. Initially this will be focused on mission planning for our fleet of autonomous robots, but it will expand into slotting (where to put items) and other workflow optimizations. There are existing algorithms in place, that could be expanded upon or possibly replaced. This is not a pure research role you will also be implementing real code that will reach the customers.
In this new position, you will:
- Have to work well in with a loosely defined problem set
- Design and implement “real time” algorithms
- Work closely with the engineering team in implementing algorithms
- Design a system that is capable of operating 24/7/365
- Be able to work well in a small team – we are not looking for a lone wolf
- Be willing to support your algorithms if there are problems in the field
- Experience with logistics is a plus – robotics experience is unnecessary
What you’ll need day one:
- Able to quickly come up to speed with complicated multi-faceted problems
- Experience dealing with complicated non-tractable problems
- Strong understanding of statics and probabilistic algorithms
- Deep understanding of a highly performant language (C/C++/Rust/Go)
- Comfortable learning new programming languages and working in a multi-language environment
- Commitment to rigorous testing and validation (we write lots of unit tests)
- Thoughtful, holistic approach to problem solving
Why 6RS? Recognized by the Boston Globe as a Top Place to Work
- Entrepreneurial spirit of a start-up combined with the stability of a global commerce company
- Competitive compensation packages and Shopify RSUs
- Company-paid health, dental, and vision coverage for all employees
- Paid holidays, vacation/sick time, and parental leave
- Annual 401k contribution from the company
- Lifestyle spending account
About 6 River Systems
Founded in Waltham, Massachusetts in 2015, 6 River Systems is a leading collaborative mobile robotics fulfilment solution and part of global commerce company Shopify. Founders Jerome Dubois and Rylan Hamilton were previously executives at Kiva Systems (now Amazon Robotics). The 6 River Systems solution is operating in more than 20 facilities in the U.S., Canada and Europe, fulfilling millions of units each week for companies including Lockheed Martin, CSAT Solutions, ACT Fulfillment, DHL, XPO Logistics, and Office Depot. To learn more, visit www.6river.com.
Shopify is a leading global commerce company, providing trusted tools to start, grow, market, and manage a retail business of any size. Shopify makes commerce better for everyone with a platform and services that are engineered for reliability, while delivering a better shopping experience for consumers everywhere. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Shopify powers over one million businesses in more than 175 countries and is trusted by brands such as Allbirds, Gymshark, PepsiCo, Staples, and many more. For more information, visit www.shopify.com.