Lead QA Engineer, RStudio Connect team
You’ll be joining a team of passionate, talented engineers who have a proven track record of producing great software used by hundreds of thousands of data analysts worldwide. You will participate in the full lifecycle of the products from design through support, ensuring its high quality and acting as a customer advocate for the best user experience possible.
Your main tasks will be to design and execute automated and manual tests for all levels of the product, and to develop high-level testing strategies designed to ensure that the team as a whole is working toward the same quality goals. This is a senior role whose duties include establishing the high-level testing approach for the product team, advocating for the user experience in team decisions, mentoring other QA team members in best practices, identifying process improvements, augmenting the test automation framework, and full-stack testing of the products. It offers a significant opportunity to drive the quality of our software through respectful leadership, careful testing, and thoughtful analysis. If you insist on unrelenting quality, excel at critical thought, and love working with amazing people, this job could be for you.
In this role, you will be part of the product development team that produces the RStudio Connect publishing platform. You will be responsible for designing the team’s testing strategy and setting the quality method, with input from your QA and development colleagues. You will help build consensus on the approach to software quality, and work closely with your teammates to create processes that execute on the method effectively and efficiently. You will participate in the testing tasks you have designed, and coach the other QA engineers in the method, as well. We value analysis, reflection, and critical thought on the team, so you will be expected to contribute to lively product discussions throughout the development process.
- Create and maintain a high-level test strategy for the team’s products
- Act as key point of contact for all QA aspects of releases, providing QA services and coordinating QA resources
- Lead and mentor QA team members
- Assess risk of new products, features, and releases
- Provide constructive feedback on product-level design decisions and mentor other engineers on matters of design and architecture
- Collaborate with other QA team members to share knowledge, coordinate coverage, and optimize processes
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement in the standards of all the quality processes
- Facilitate decision-making at the group level in a collaborative and inclusive manner
- Take point on cross-product and broad engineering initiatives
- Invest in driving alignment across the team and the stakeholders
- Create and execute manual and automated tests for one of the product feature streams on the RStudio Connect engineering team
- Experience testing enterprise software, either on-premises or SaaS
- Experience creating high-level test strategies for multiple products
- Experience leading and mentoring others
- Experience testing, and writing automated tests for, APIs
- Experience writing UI automated tests
- Experience with load and performance testing
- Curiosity and a willingness to learn new technologies
- 5+ years of professional experience in software Quality Assurance
Nice to have (but not required)
- Experience integrating automated tests into continuous integration processes
- Familiarity with R, python, or both
- Experience with VM software/Docker/Vagrant/EC2
- Experience with major cloud vendors like AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud
- Interest in data science and/or the RStudio mission
- RStudio is a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a Certified B Corporation®, which means that our open-source mission is codified into our charter, and that our corporate decisions balance the interests of the community, customers, employees, and shareholders.
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
- 100% distributed team (or come in to one of our offices in Seattle or Boston) with minimal travel
- Competitive compensation with great benefits including:
- medical/dental/vision insurance (100% of premiums covered)
- 401k matching
- a home office allowance or reimbursement for a coworking space
- a profit-sharing system
- Flexible environment with a generous vacation policy
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.