Why Housecall Pro?
Help us build solutions that build better lives. At Housecall Pro, we show up to work every day to make a difference for real people: the home service professionals that support America’s 100 million homes.
We’re all about the Pro, and dedicate our days to helping them streamline operations, scale their businesses, and—ultimately—save time so they can be with their families and live well. We care deeply about our customers and foster a culture where our company, employees, and Pros grow and succeed together. Leadership is as focused on growing team members’ careers as they expect their teams to be on creating solutions for Pros.
We also offer:
- A generous benefits program that supports the whole you with medical, dental, vision, life, disability, and 401(k)
- Paid holidays and flexible, take-it-as-you-need-it paid time off
- Equity in a rapidly growing startup backed by top-tier VCs
- Monthly tech reimbursements
- A culture built on innovation that values big ideas, no matter where they come from
As a Lead Site Reliability Engineer, you will be leading a small team of software engineers focusing on the reliability of our SaaS application, both code and infrastructure. You will help define what “reliability” means, how we manage it, and how we achieve it. You will architect and guide solutions that are both general to all systems and specific to the needs of individual feature teams. You will manage a group tasked with owning the observability, monitoring, and alerting of our systems, and you will guide data-driven decisions across the organization regarding reliability.
This is a hands-on role! A qualified candidate must be willing to own the concept of reliability from the ground up. This requires architectural ability, hands-on implementation, deep-dive investigation, as well as the ability to work well across centralized and decentralized teams.
A qualified candidate must be comfortable with the modern web application stack and have experience working in a relevant framework. You must have experience with code “in the wild” and care deeply about the experience of your customers using the production system. You will drive insights into the systems via various forms of instrumentation, and you will drive data-driven decisions based on that instrumentation.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Owning the observability, monitoring, and alerting of our application and runtime system through leadership, architecture, and hands-on implementation
- Championing data-driven decision making around reliability issues through the implementation and evangelization of SLI/SLO/SLAs
- Architecting and building improved patterns and architecture that improves reliability
- Guiding the work of the reliability team, both day-to-day and long-term, individually and as a team
- Developing tools and procedures to identify, triage, and fixing production issues
- Automating solutions to production issues to minimize toil
- Developing tests to ensure our reliability measures are active and sufficient
- Working closely with both back end support teams and stream-aligned feature teams
You will work as part of the larger Housecall Pro engineering team, collaborating to identify and implement patterns, technologies, and workflows that make reliability issues observable and solvable. You will bug-hunt, automate, implement, and architect, depending on the needs of the problem before you. You will lead a small team of SREs inside the Product Enablement organization, and regularly reach out to Feature Teams as necessary. You will own the reliability of the system, but at the same time you will instruct us all on how to better create reliable systems and prove that they are so.
This position requires enthusiasm for the details of code and systems running “in the wild.” You will face challenges with systems running real users and data that require imagination, tenacity, and attention to detail. Curiosity and the ability to learn on your feet will serve you well in this role.
Our Engineering team is extraordinary. We’re a hardworking and focused team driven to deliver industry-leading apps to our customers. Our success is their success. Our team of entrepreneurial, enthusiastic and client-focused team members are the “engine room” of Housecall Pro, helping our customers operate and grow their businesses.
As a qualified candidate, most of the following apply to you:
- 4-7 years of engineering experience, with at least 3 years dedicated to Site Reliability
- You have led engineering teams and are excited to lead one focused on reliability
- You’ve worked with previous companies to develop an SRE mindset. You’ve successfully convinced feature teams to define and care about their own SLI/SLO/SLAs.
- You have significant experience running web applications in production
- You have direct experience developing web application code in a modern framework such as Rails or Django. You have a strong programming background and can learn new languages and frameworks.
- You are comfortable with relational databases like MySQL or Postgres. You can optimize queries. You know when to add indexes. You understand how to run these with High Availability, and you know their limitations from experience. You are also
- You are comfortable with data persistence in S3 and NoSQL databases.
- You are familiar with eventing paradigms and CQRS.
- You are very comfortable with containerized environments running Linux in clouds such as AWS.
- You are familiar with distributed systems and the benefits and challenges they offer. You understand these tradeoffs and how they interact with the reliability of the system. You understand the tradeoffs between Consistency, Availability, and Partition Tolerance that you must design around in a distributed world.
- You are comfortable with working in an operational mindset, and can lead and teach others to do the same.
- You value data-driven decisions. You are always looking for opportunities to quickly produce the right data in order to make decisions quickly. You empower others to do the same, and enjoy providing tools and frameworks towards that end.
- You’re most comfortable in an Agile environment. You thrive on iteration. You make opportunities to bring value sooner rather than later, but always building toward the future. You successfully teach others how to embrace Agile and improve their processes.
Founded in 2013, Housecall Pro champions home service professionals by giving them the tools to work simpler and grow smarter across all aspects of their business. Our core SaaS software platform helps Pros with scheduling, dispatching, job management, invoicing, payment processing, marketing, and more. We support more than 20,000 businesses and have over 400 ambitious, mission-driven, genuinely fun-loving employees in San Diego, Denver, and all over the world. If you want to do work that impacts real people, supported by a team that’ll invest in you every step of the way, we’d love to hear from you.
Housecall Pro celebrates diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees with equal treatment and opportunity in all aspects of recruitment, selection, and employment without regard to gender, race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, or any other category protected under the law. Housecall Pro is an equal opportunity employer; committed to an environment free from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. #LI-RG1
Location Dependent Information:
This role is open to candidates inside and outside of Colorado and the expected salary range for this role is $155K-$165K + equity. The specific salary for the successful candidate will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location. This role is also eligible to participate in Housecall Pro’s equity plan and the following benefits: health care insurance (medical, dental, vision, disability), employee assistance program, 401(K), flexible time off, paid parental leave, tech reimbursement, and other company benefits. Housecall Pro is growing fast and we’re scaling our team to help enable and accelerate our growth.