The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking a Lead Trust & Safety Policy Manager to join the Legal team to advance the Wikimedia movement’s vision of every human being able to freely share in the sum of all knowledge; as well as its strategic direction – that by 2030, Wikimedia will become the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge, and anyone who shares our vision will be able to join us.
The Lead Trust & Safety Policy Manager will report to the Manager, Trust & Safety Policy. As part of its investment in the sustainability and well-being of its volunteer online communities, the Wikimedia Foundation is seeking a seasoned online platform policy expert who is able to guide the organization’s T&S policy development processes, academic relations, and take on policy initiatives of strategic importance. The T&S teams put a strong focus on in-depth investigations, resilient operations capabilities, and continuous process improvements in partnership with the platform’s online communities. This position will be responsible for shaping and leading T&S policy making at the Foundation while working in partnership with leadership and the wider Trust & Safety management team to identify areas of challenge in the organization’s community-based Trust & Safety model and work to identify and implement solutions through collaboration with communities and appropriate staff.
As the Lead Trust & Safety Policy Manager you will need a good understanding of how to shape thriving online communities, T&S industry best practices, especially in addressing platform governance and content moderation challenges, and law enforcement relationships. To address these complex problems, you will have to understand the technical possibilities as well as social norms and how to work with volunteers from disparate backgrounds to encourage building a culture of high behavioral expectations and excellent peer enforcement thereof. You will be the primary point person for T&S’ academic and NGO relations. You are a seasoned platform policy expert and are able to creatively solve a wide range of challenges.
You are responsible for:
- Identifying strategic gaps in the Foundation’s Trust & Safety policies protecting the volunteer communities and the platform against trust and safety challenges, collaborating with key stakeholders in identifying solution pathways, and leading development and implementation of those solutions.
- Collaborating closely with the wider Trust & Safety team, Wikimedia Foundation’s legal and public policy teams and key Wikimedia functionaries in areas related to Trust & Safety both to understand gaps, comprehend solutions, and develop workable improvements.
- Collaborating intensively and, when appropriate, publicly with Wikimedia project contributors and users on initiatives enhancing adherence to Wikimedia’s Universal Code of Conduct and otherwise promoting resilient and sustainable communities.
- Leading Trust & Safety’s academic and NGO relations and collaboration projects in order to build shared industry-wide understanding of trust and safety best practices and to bring that shared understanding to the Wikimedia movement.
- Related, exploring and implementing best practices in online platform policy development and Trust & Safety management by reviewing activities in other organizations, and engaging other Trust & Safety Specialists.
- Communicating with key stakeholders in a precise, detailed or high-level communication style, depending on the needs of the organization and community.
Skills and Experience:
- Proven experience effectively managing strategic online platform policy projects and initiatives in a rapidly changing environment
- Strong research background; highly proficient synthesizing qualitative and quantitative data into actionable insights
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English, including the ability to synthesize complex topics and create compelling narratives for various audiences
- Experience working in a global organization that has a distributed workforce
- Understanding of both social and technical approaches to support enhancing community interactions and dynamics
- Ability to effectively partner with multiple levels
- Ability to identify effective solutions to complex problems and function well in ambiguity
- Ability to anticipate risks, resolve conflicts, and initiate escalation paths
- BA/BS degree or equivalent in related work experience
Qualities that are important to us:
- Experience with, or understanding of, free knowledge, open source, free culture, or other online communities and operates with high sensitivity around culture with the goal to respect, preserve and enhance
- Proficiency pulling/synthesizing data and identifying trends, causation, correlation, etc (high level SQL preferred)
- Command of major languages beyond English is seen as a plus
The Wikimedia Foundation is…
…the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.