Chronosphere is the provider of the only observability platform that puts engineering organizations back in control by taming rampant data growth and cloud-native complexity, delivering increased business confidence. Teams at startups to well-known global brands in the Fortune 500 around the world trust Chronosphere to help them operate scalable, highly available and resilient applications.
Chronosphere is looking for trailblazers who are experts in their space and are passionate about creating meaningful solutions for engineers and digital businesses.
Chronosphere is a series C startup with more than $343M in funding and a $1B+ valuation. We’re a remote-first company, backed by Greylock, Lux Capital, General Atlantic, Addition and Founders Fund.
About the role
We are looking for our Engineering Manager who has a solid track record of developing and nurturing strong teams, while maintaining the hands-on technical abilities to navigate and contribute to our engineering roadmap.
You will be responsible for supporting the engineering team that owns the reliability and operability of our platform. You are comfortable working within a complex roadmap and have the ability to prioritize and balance work across our individual contributors. You know how to support engineers at all stages of their career, and are motivated to help them do their best work.
- Support and develop a team of 8+ engineers through feedback and coaching, setting context and expectations, and eliminating barriers to execution.
- Own the engineering roadmap for a platform area, and manage projects to that roadmap. Set priorities in partnership with the product team and technical contributors, establish delivery sequence, and drive day-to-day execution against those priorities.
- Partner with other engineering leaders in driving process changes across teams to ensure that we continue to scale effectively.
- Be responsible for hiring for your team, with support from engineering leadership and the recruiting team.
- Own the reliability of your product area in production. Our engineering teams are responsible for the uptime of their systems, and you will ensure that your team has the focus, tools, and process needed to reliably ship and manage
What you will achieve
In the first month, you will build a deep understanding of Chronosphere’s platform and begin contributing to the product. You will have time to learn about the space, our customer’s needs, and the underlying technology, and will contribute to small product features to gain familiarity with the stack.
In 3 months, you will manage your first projects and direct reports. You will own the planning and day-to-date execution of these projects, and use this time to become familiar with our customers, our technology, and how we deliver changes.
After 3 months, manage a product area with a team of 6-8 direct reports and take on responsibility for growing the team. You will take ownership of the roadmap for your product area, working with product to establish priorities and a delivery plan and driving hiring and day-to-day execution against that plan.
- Empathy and an understanding of how to support engineers to do their best work.
- A high level of organization and the ability to manage multiple projects from initial concept through delivery and production support. You should be comfortable iterating with product/design from high level requirements to execution plan, and have a track record of successfully delivering multiple complex concurrent projects.
- Familiarity with enterprise software and software as a service. We deliver a highly reliable service to demanding business customers, and you should understand how this impacts the way product is built, validated, released, and operated.
- Strong background in partnering with recruiting, making hiring decisions and closing hires, and building a diverse and inclusive team. We believe strongly that hiring is the responsibility of engineering management, and you should be able to demonstrate attracting, closing, and retaining engineers at multiple levels.
United States – Remote #LI-Remote
Reporting to Elenore Bastian, Platform Engineering Manager
- Health Insurance Coverage
- Free Lunches
- Unlimited Vacation Time
- Competitive Salary
- Stock Options
- And More
Chronosphere is an equal opportunity employer. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t line up exactly with the job description. Your skills, passion, and desire to make a difference will stand out. At Chronosphere, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren’t afraid to challenge the standard. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com