We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
A letter from our VP of Technology:
Dear future Benchmate,
There has never been a more exciting time to join Bench. We’re on our way to making a profound difference in the quality of life of a million people.
Finance is inseparable from the human experience. Our personal finances influence our mental and physical wellbeing, where we live, our education, our family structures, and the opportunities we do or do not have. In the mind of a small business owner, there is no distinction between their business finances and their personal finances. Working at a Bench isn’t about fintech; it’s about making a difference in the quality of life of human beings.
Bench is already the biggest bookkeeper in North America—we currently have over 10,000 clients, and in 2020 alone we processed $21B in transactions—and we’re just at the beginning of our technological journey.
We need help. Our engineering teams are at the forefront of what we do. They work every day using technology to profoundly improve the lives of our customers at scale. What they do is immensely creative and impactful. It is also immensely collaborative; our Technology teams work hand-in-hand with Product and Design and have deep ties across our service organizations. Your job as an engineering manager, here at Bench, will be to support and grow these engineering teams as they navigate this complex and challenging environment. You will be a true servant leader who focuses on the individual humans that you work with to bring out the best in each of them. I promise that you’ll grow fast and have a blast doing it. We’re up to incredible things, come make a difference with us.
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I can’t wait to meet you.
Blake Turner, VP of Technology
What you’ll be getting up to
- Create Alignment: You’ll be working with product leaders to understand and align on proposed product solutions and product roadmaps
- Foster Growth: You’ll be responsible for the growth of a small team of engineers through structured career conversations, mentorship, and continuous conversations
- Grow our team: You’ll be contributing to and participating in hiring conversations and decisions
- Deliver Value: Your focus will be on creating and facilitating systems that lead to high performing teams focused on delivering software that makes a difference
- Strengthen Culture: You’ll be responsible for ensuring that the culture on your team is consistent with our principles
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have:
- Resonance with our Bench and Technology principles
- A ”technical” background – you don’t need “senior engineer” on your resume, but you do need to have an understanding of technology, building products, maintaining products, and speaking about technical problems and solutions in business terms.
- A passion for leading – leadership requires us to take a stand for what we believe the future can be, and then to help others see themselves in that future. This is what gets your blood going.
- A dissatisfaction with status quo – we are always looking to change and improve, ‘we’ve always done it this way’ isn’t part of your vocabulary.
- A willingness to drive positive change – it’s not enough to be dissatisfied, you will need to understand how to create and drive positive change in your team and throughout the organization.
- A technology leadership toolkit – you may not have “engineering manager” on your resume but you’ll need to be able to draw on a toolkit built through leadership experience.
- A demonstrable drive to grow – Fostering growth is what we do here, in ourselves and in our reports. Our mission is big, and we all need to grow significantly to achieve it.
The extra details:
- This is a full-time permanent position though we will consider 4 days a week.
- This position offers an annual salary, stock options, and an extended benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision.
- All Benchmates have access to Inkblot Therapy, our virtual counselling service to support mental wellbeing, and Bravely, our confidential, on-demand, 1:1 professional coaching service.
- We are seeking a Engineering Manager 1 – our salary band for this role is between $135,000- $169,000 (EM1). We’ve recently made a change to our compensation process – learn more about why and what practices we’re putting in place here.
- Our office has gone fully remote! We’ll set you up with everything you need to work from home, from day one. This position can be located in any of the following provinces: BC, AB, ON and NB.
For a deep dive on how we define Engineering roles at Bench, please see our competencies matrix. To learn more about how we do things, you can also read through our Technology Organization Handbook and our blog.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.