We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
A letter from our VP Engineering:
Dear future Benchmate,
There has never been a more exciting time to join Bench. We’re on our way to make a profound difference in the quality of life of a million people.
Finance is inseparable from the human experience. Our personal finances influence our mental and physical wellbeing, where we live, our education, our family structures, and the opportunities we do or do not have. In the mind of a small business owner, there is no distinction between their business finances and their personal finances. Working at a Bench isn’t about fintech; it’s about making a difference in the quality of life of human beings.
Bench is already the biggest bookkeeper in North America—we currently have over 10,000 clients, and in 2020 alone, we processed $21B in transactions—and we’re just at the beginning of our technological journey.
We need help. Our engineers are at the forefront of what we do. They work every day using technology to profoundly improve the lives of our customers at scale. What they do is immensely creative and impactful. It is also immensely collaborative; our Technology teams work hand-in-hand with Product and Design and have deep ties across our service organizations. Only together can we create something truly groundbreaking for our clients.
This creates an extremely dynamic and sometimes challenging work environment. They need support from someone who understands the value they create with every line of code that they write. They need an environment where every individual contributor can find rapid growth. We need somebody who will work every day to ensure our engineers have a positive and uplifting experience at Bench. This will be hard to do, and it takes excellent management skills to get it right. If you join us, I promise that you will grow tremendously, live a rich life both at and away from work, and have a great time doing it.
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I can’t wait to meet you.
Blake Turner, VP Technology
What is a Manager, Technology Culture Systems?
You will own everything an engineer experiences throughout their connection to the organization — every employee interaction, from their first day to the last interaction at the end of their employment.
You will be responsible for creating, implementing, and operationalizing processes and initiatives that set our engineers up for success. You will work to uphold and improve our engineering values and company culture.
This role is the first of its kind at Bench! This means that there are facets of this position that are going to be discovered along the way and a fair amount of ambiguity. The successful candidate will work with engineering leadership to discover new initiatives and responsibilities that contribute to the overall happiness of the engineering team.
What you’ll be getting up to:
- Acting as an amplifier for the VP Of Technology, you’ll be a key player in creating an amazing working environment for our engineering team.
- Your focus will be on helping to build, roll-out and maintain processes to create and maintain positive working conditions for our engineers from their first day to their last.
- You will work with Engineering leadership to craft mentorship programs, coordinate training and learning & development programs as per the needs of the various teams and individuals.
- You’ll plan and execute all Technology events (Hackathons and more!), social meetups, and travel.
- You will partner with different departments within Bench to identify and solve problems; create and implement onboarding processes; track and measure hiring, retention, and attrition within Technology.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have:
- A resonance with our Bench and Technology principles
- Data visualization and storytelling: Being data-driven is a core necessity for this role. You must be able to dive into data relating to matters such as hiring, performance, retention, attrition, and more. You can then create a picture, identify gaps, causes for issues, and propose solutions to leadership and stakeholders.
- ‘Get Scrappy’ energy: You will be supporting the Engineering team daily, supporting each entity’s strategies; being the change agent for any initiatives, and responsible for conceptualizing & overseeing projects for the same.
- Understand technology environments: You definitely don’t need to code to excel at this role! However, to best support and enhance the employee experience of our engineers, you need to be very familiar with, and understand the functions and needs of, their environment.
- Unfazed by ambiguity: While we’re an established organization on the path to profitability, we still have a fast-paced start-up environment that is focused on continuous improvement. This role will require you to remain calm and steady in the face of uncertainty; thrive even with little direction or guidance, and be flexible and ready to pivot as necessary.
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion. An activated curiosity and openness to being an equitable and inclusive leader. Our commitment to anti-racism and anti-discrimination as a company excites you.
The extra details:
- This is a full-time permanent position because we want to spend lots of time with your wonderful self!
- This position offers an annual salary, stock options, and an extended benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision.
- Vacation in the Technology organization is unlimited. 2 weeks paid time off, and unlimited flex days.
- Technology is a remote-first organization. We have folks spread all over the world! That said, we support folks in all the ways they want to go to work.
- Bench offers Affinity groups which are a gathering of people who have shared identities and experiences! The purpose of these groups is to support underrepresented Benchmates and amplify their voices.
- As a Benchmate, you will have the opportunity to influence policy and processes and be part of initiatives to effect change and improve the status-quo
- All Benchmates have access to Inkblot Therapy, our virtual counseling service to support mental wellbeing, and Bravely, our confidential, on-demand, 1:1 professional coaching service.
- Our salary band for this role is between $86,400 – 108,000.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.