As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience’s daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
In this position, you will take our Managing Editor role in a new direction. The Managing Editor will help us improve and expand Polygon by informing editorial decisions with audience insights and team input. The role will mix people management, data and analytics, strategic thinking, and editorial coordination.
The role as described here is a starting point. We want you to guide us in new directions, evolving this role to compliment your interests and skills.
What you’ll do
Grow Polygon’s audience insight program:
- You will provide data and guidance to the editorial team to inform coverage decisions.
- You will research areas of editorial investment and provide layperson reports on your findings.
- You will use data and analytics to anticipate trends across Polygon’s sections and experiment with editors on covering those trends.
Help us connect stories with readers that will love them:
- You will use data to help writers and editors make informed story selections.
- You will work with section leaders to set SEO and headline strategy.
- You will use testing models to analyse reader and viewer behavior across our site and YouTube channel.
- You will collaborate with Polygon’s Sr. News Editor to maintain editorial project management tools, and you’ll be responsible for the efficacy of these tools.
- You will work with the Deputy Managing Editor to establish and regularly communicate best practices for project management tools and you’ll provide semi-annual tutorials for the Polygon editorial and video teams.
Make big, long term plans and execute them one day at a time:
- You will co-own, update, and execute Polygon’s yearlong Editorial Calendar.
- You will collaborate with section leaders to ensure the success of events planning
Build an inspired and productive team
- You will serve as liaison between Polygon and Vox Media for office operations.
- You will help handle hiring and onboarding, along with offboarding, and you will develop and document best practices for onboarding and offboarding.
Who we’re looking for:
A great managing editor improves every member of the team:
- You are empathic, curious, and supportive, someone who searches for cracks in the glass long before it shatters.
You know numbers and trends can say as much as words and anecdotes:
- You’ve learned how to use modern audience insight tools, ideally in a newsroom setting.
- You’ve helped newsrooms or communication teams apply data to shape their editorial plans.
- You enjoy supporting a team from behind-the-scenes, providing the tools that make our writers successful.
You listen and internalize, before you react:
- You understand that passionate creators may have conflicting goals and you strive to make all parties feel heard and supported.
- You are also able to be firm when necessary, establishing clear boundaries and expectations.
- You trust editorial teammates to make informed decisions and learn from their mistakes.
You take pleasure in organization:
- You take notes, manage calendars, and generally keep track of ideas and plans.
- You patiently help peers without this knack for organization find ways to learn organizational habits.
You have big ambitions:
- We believe Polygon will be the entertainment publication of this generation. You will want to help us make that a reality.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.