Axios HQ is a suite of solutions including software and professional services that helps organizations communicate with staff and stakeholders more effectively. It brings years of newsroom research to hybrid and remote teams’ fingertips so they can quickly distill essential information and deliver it to their readers in a smart, scannable update — increasing transparency, engagement, and trust across the organization. Learn more about Axios HQ:
The big picture: Our professional services focus on hands-on training to improve clients’ writing and editing skills, short-term consulting to evolve their internal content strategies, and long-term editing support to bring Smart Brevity to their key internal updates. We are looking for an experienced managing editor and content strategist to oversee the team of editors who deliver this work. You will…
- Support a team of senior editors, ensuring they’re supported, empowered, and able to deliver high-quality work to the clients we take on.
- Consult with clients, probing and deeply understanding their communication goals and challenges, advising on editorially sound solutions to solve them, and inspiring them to adopt Smart Brevity best practices so our partnership and their results continue long-term.
- Collaborate with HQ’s sales team, understanding our core services and ensuring the programs we pitch are realistic and appropriate for the business we’re building.
- Evolve and advance our service offerings, in partnership with HQ leaders, to make sure we stay true to our brand but in step with the market — and able to deliver on ambitious goals.
Details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios HQ’s mission and have the following skills:
- Significant experience in writing, editing, and content strategy roles.
- A track-record of managing and developing talent, including senior-level employees.
- Strategic thinking, able to diagnose issues, analyze goals, propose creative solutions, and execute on them — both for HQ and our clients.
- Experience with consulting or client work, with strong interpersonal skills to sustain relationships and tact to deliver constructive feedback that guides our partners toward success.
- Strong project management, ensuring the structure, pace, quality and delivery of multiple complex programs concurrently and an ability to create and deliver client-ready documents.
- Awareness of global news to understand client needs, concerns and priorities.
- Extremely creative and collaborative, and always receptive to feedback.
- Skilled in AP style and grammar.
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Company-sponsored access to Ginger coaching and mental health support
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.