Leap’s mission is to combat climate change by enabling a reliable electric grid that runs on clean energy. The electric grid is transforming from dirty (but predictable) fossil fuels to clean (but less predictable) renewable energy. To do so, the grid needs more flexible demand and supply to help maintain stability and reliability.
Leap plays a crucial role in opening up wholesale energy markets to all distributed energy resources, enabling our partners to get paid for providing flexibility to the grid.
Leap is a privately-held tech company with funding from top VCs and well-known energy entrepreneurs. Our core operations are in the San Francisco Bay Area and Utrecht (NL), but we are a distributed workplace with teammates based in Atlanta, Boston, Boulder, Chicago, Maui, and Washington, DC.
Who are we looking for?
We’re seeking a driven and detail-oriented individual who will be responsible for executing on and improving Leap’s operations in wholesale electricity markets, as well as researching and analyzing market expansion opportunities. This position is essential in helping Leap to grow our business in both existing and new markets.
You may be a good fit for this role if you:
- Are detail oriented and possess strong analytical, data, and financial modeling skills
- Love optimizing market strategies, continuously improving operations, and streamlining complex processes
- Have interest in, relevant coursework, and/or professional experience in wholesale energy markets, energy economics, energy trading, or energy management
- Are interested in or familiar with recent trends in Distributed Energy Resources and/or Demand Response
- Enjoy working collaboratively in a team with a diverse group of amazingly talented and fun people, but are also perfectly capable of working independently
- Are hands-on and like to tackle and improve complex work processes
- Experience is definitely a plus, but willingness to learn and innovate is a must
What will you be working on?
- Analyzing energy market datasets and energy pricing to inform Leap’s Development and Operations teams and drive market entry decisions
- Contributing to daily energy market bidding and optimization, as well as analyzing and validating energy data for our portfolio
- Supporting the implementation of strategies and processes required for participation in the California Independent System Operator (CAISO)
- Researching market dynamics, rules, and regulations to drive participation in Texas (ERCOT), New York Independent System Operator (NYISO), and other target Leap markets
- Developing a deep understanding of the NYISO, ERCOT, and CAISO Market Rules and applying it in strategy development and execution
- Working with Leap’s Engineering team to continuously improve and automate internal Market Operations processes and tools
What’s it like to work at Leap?
Product: At our core we are a tech company. We love technical challenges and build things that we are proud of and would like to use ourselves. Everyone is highly involved in building and designing our products, making them extremely valuable and a pleasure to use.
Purpose: Some of us worked in energy before, some of us haven’t. All of us would like to make a difference and do our part in helping the world move towards a more resilient grid run on renewable energy.
Fun: We work hard, but enjoy our time at work as well as outside of work. With the team spread out over multiple time zones we also embraced flexibility early on, and are focused on results instead of time spent in the office.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.