Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We serve everyone from one-person startups to over 30% of the Fortune 100 with a powerful, trust-driven platform that enables companies and talent to work together in new ways that unlock their potential.
Last year, more than $3.3 billion of work was done through Upwork by skilled professionals who are gaining more control by finding work they are passionate about and innovating their careers.
This position will be responsible for managing the monthly close process, booking transactions, and reconciling across all general ledger accounts related to platform operations. They will also be responsible for operational support of platform functions including cash management and bank transactions.
This Accountant must maintain strong and relevant accounting principles to ensure accurate and timely reporting. This position addresses tight deadlines and a variety of activities including cash management, transaction processing, month-end close and audit support preparation. A successful candidate will have excellent attention to detail.
This is a remote full-time position in our Platform Accounting Operations team.
- Owning/completing key high volume cash account reconciliations weekly, utilizing advanced excel skills and system reconciliation tools.
- Prepare and record journal entries of cash activity for month-end close.
- Processing and accounting for foreign currency transactions and related hedging programs
- Prepare month end reporting schedules and flux analysis for management reviews
- Assisting with treasury related financial modeling.
- Owning new and improving existing processes through key performance indicators and automation
- Monitoring liquidity and maintaining cash balances for operations.
- Assist with preparation of audit schedules and allocation of inter-company expenses.
- Be a part of special projects such as new product offerings, including the design and implementation of key finance systems, close efficiency and management reporting
- Excellent communication and organization skills is a must for this position
What it takes to catch our eye:
- 1-2 years of Big 4 experience
- High volume cash reconciliation experience
- Advanced skills with Excel and Blackline
- Experience in a Public Company and Sarbanes Oxley (Sox) compliance
- Marketplace or technology industry experience
- Treasury, fintech, payments and/or banking background is a plus
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also hire full-time employees in 19 states in the United States.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Careers page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.