The tech sector has failed low-income Americans. Technology is generally built by people who have money, for people who have money. That’s because people solve the problems they understand, and with economic inequality only getting worse, most technologists don’t understand the lived experience of those with limited income. At Propel, we’re doing our part to change that. Our first app, Fresh EBT, is used by over 4 million families who get SNAP benefits (also known as food stamps) to manage their benefits, save money, and earn income. Read more about Fresh EBT here, here, and here. Now we’re building a new type of bank account specifically for people living on or near the safety net.
As the People Ops coordinator, you’ll help us make Propel the best workplace in the world for talented, scrappy, mission-oriented people. In this role you’ll own candidate coordination, Propel’s events calendar, office management, benefits, and ad hoc billing responsibilities. This is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in recruiting and people operations at a growing startup, as you’ll be the second full-time employee on the People Ops team at Propel.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
- Immediate opportunity to make an impact
- A get-stuff-done and fun and caring culture
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- Competitive compensation (including equity) and excellent benefits
- A dog-friendly office based in Downtown Brooklyn (when we return!)
What you’ll do:
- Schedule and coordinate candidate interviews
- Manage employee birthdays, anniversaries, and team thank you gifts
- Support the planning of full and small team events
- Own tech and swag set up for all new employees
- Take on ad hoc billing, tax, and insurance responsibilities
- Manage the office upon a return to the office (fall 2021)
What you have:
- 1+ year working within People Ops / HR or Recruiting
- A curious nature and interest in learning about how a start up functions
- An instinct for organization and documentation
- A scrappy, can-do attitude and a willingness to step in wherever is needed
- The ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and with kindness, both verbally and in writing
- Sky-high emotional intelligence
- A belief that diverse teams are the strongest teams, and a desire to foster Propel’s ongoing efforts to be a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace
- Deep desire to help fulfill Propel’s mission of building modern, effective, and respectful tools for low-income Americans