We’re taking what it means to be a designer in media to new heights by building a best-in-class cross-disciplinary design team at Vox Media, from our Product team that builds the best platform for digital publishing in the industry, to our Brand team that works across the corporate Vox Media brand and a suite of powerhouse editorial networks (Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode,) to our revenue team that designs beautiful ad products and partners with our sponsors. At Vox Media, you can be part of a remote friendly culture with people in New York, DC, San Francisco, Austin, New Orleans, and quite a few cities in between. Our jobs are well compensated and come with excellent and progressive benefits—including flexible hours, generous paid parental leave, and trans-inclusive healthcare.
The Brand Design team is looking for a seasoned graphic designer who has experience working with media, journalism, branding and advertising. You are an exceptional creative thinker with a passion for design and a curiosity about what’s next. You are ahead of the curve risk taker with an instinct for what creates an emotional connection between brands and audiences. Your creative approach is only matched by your exceptional design skills including the creation of design systems, brand campaigns, event design, podcast art and motion across multiple platforms. With strong communication skills you have the ability to articulate and sell through your work on the basis of sound strategic thinking and conceptual visual solutions. You thrive in a fast-paced constantly changing environment. You are a great collaborator, sensitive to partner and stakeholder needs, and comfortable working both individually and in group settings.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Lead projects as an individual contributor or design lead, overseeing other design team members, providing art direction to our editorial networks and partners as well as the Vox Media corporate brand
- Design and concept across a wide range of environments including: branding campaigns that run across digital and print, logos, identity systems, environmental graphics, social campaigns, marketing collateral and internal corporate materials
- Act as a thought leader on the team developing and launching brand identities for new strategic initiatives as the Vox Media business strategy and portfolio evolves
- Work collaboratively with our editorial partners to create brand extensions of their visual identities on and off platforms
- Act as a strong storyteller supporting Vox Media’s lines of business, revenue, marketing and consumer marketing teams
- Establish design systems and guidelines to insure continuity and brand cohesion across multiple platforms and touch points
- Explore solutions across a gamut of visual techniques appropriate to each project including but not limited to graphic design, illustration, animation, photography and site specific installations working collaboratively with and providing creative direction to both internal and external creatives contributors
- Support the brand design team Senior Design Directors in the day to day management of the brand design team by providing inspiration, empowerment and mentorship to other more junior designers on the team
- Oversee photoshoots working with photographers, stylists, production designers and retouchers
- Keep up to date with emerging trends in fashion, design, film, art, media and technology as relevant to the Vox Media brand portfolio
- Build and nurture strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders and partners
- Enforce and model the expected behaviors listed in our Code of Conduct.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- 5-10 years experience working as a senior level designer with art direction experience in the field of media, entertainment, branding, editorial, marketing or any related large scale pop culture brand
- Enthusiasm and awareness of the design legacy and history of New York Magazine and its digital properties and an understanding of the edit mission of the Vox Media brands and how to represent their journalistic voice
- Exceptional design skills and the ability to synthesize our brands and their visual DNA into all of our products through an original, innovative point of view
- A stellar portfolio of creative work, exhibiting a background in digital, brand and editorial design
- Deep knowledge, passion and expertise in all aspects of layout, typography, illustration, image making, digital and event/experience production
- Proven ability as a strong mentor, with a knack and passion for supporting team growth, and the improvement, successes, and advancement toward collective and individual goals
- Ability to work autonomously and oversee your design from beginning to end, and equally comfortable in a collaborative environment. A willingness to work with other team members when necessary
- Experience working with cross functional teams (or within a matrixed organization) to create transformational brand experiences
- A stamina for meticulous design detailing and extensive iteration delivering error proof files at the completion of a project
- Experience working on photo shoots combined with a knowledge of and relationships within the photography community highly desirable
- A deep knowledge of the cost of different visual solutions and the ability to bring projects in on time and on budget.
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to drive forth an agenda, sell through work, while forming strong relationships to meet the needs of partners and stakeholders
- Ability to thrive in an environment of rapid growth, juggling and prioritizing multiple projects simultaneously and leading a team through change
- A strong command of industry design tools including but not limited to expert proficiency in the Adobe suite of Creative Cloud products (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, After Effects)
- Strong awareness of current design trends with a curiosity for new techniques and fresh approaches
- A strong network of external design, artistic and creative contacts and a reputation for working well with creative teams
BONUS POINTS FOR
- An understanding of remote culture and experience working as part of a distributed team
- Familiarity with animation software and ability to create basic animations
- Basic knowledge of HTML and CSS, and familiarity with web design tools (Figma, Sketch, Invision)
WORKING AT VOX MEDIA
For more on the things we’re building and problems we’re solving, and what it’s like to work with the Product, Design & Technology teams, see our Product Team blog. In an effort to provide an inclusive and respectful working environment, all team members adhere to our code of conduct.
ABOUT WORKING AT VOX MEDIA
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Candidates can be based out of any of our US-based Vox Media offices, or may work remotely from anywhere within the major US time zones (Eastern, Central, Mountain, Pacific).
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.