At Figment, our mission is to create an Internet that is truly decentralized where users can freely interact, share, collaborate, and exchange goods and services in a trustless environment. We offer staking, middleware, and application layer solutions for token holders and developers investing in and building on Web 3 technologies. Together, we can build a better Internet.
About The Role
We are looking for new colleagues who are strong Principal engineer level individual contributors. You’ll contribute to successful and growing products such as Prime (our premium staking dashboard), our internal tool command center, or our API platform for universal chain-agnostic staking. We also have new greenfield opportunities that you could be instrumental in getting off the ground, and building into a core offering in the product lineup.
- We do not expect you to be a blockchain expert. Some familiarity is definitely a bonus, but we will help you get up to speed where needed. You’ll only be limited by how much you want to learn about Web3 technologies.
- You are currently the Principal engineer on an existing team of >3 developers. If you’re currently a Principal but don’t meet all of the requirements – you should still apply!
- You routinely make technical decisions and are able to explain them to the others on the team and achieve buy-in on your proposal.
- You have a strong Rails background and track record of successful Rails projects.
- You consider yourself a full-stack developer, with deep knowledge in certain specialties.
- You routinely architect your own solutions for significant problems, factoring in maintenance, scalability and security concerns to your solution approach.
- You routinely interact with senior management to explain broader initiatives and activities.
- You have owned complete features and systems end-to-end – conception, breakdown, implementation, deployment.
- You are able to learn new technologies quickly and enjoy learning new things.
- You have a pragmatic outlook and work to resist bike-shedding on aspects that won’t alter the needle much.
- You strive for simplicity and maintainability.
- You are currently located within the North American PST ↔ EST time zones.
- You have an appreciation for good written communication, and are fluent in both written and spoken English.
Your Responsibilities as a Principal Software Engineer
- Full technical accountability for products & processes.
- Set the course on technical specification design, technical roadmap, and implementation of the product.
- Work closely with Product managers to negotiate plans design solutions and set expectations.
- Work closely with our Security team to deliver the most secure software solutions we can.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members on all aspects of product development.
- Ensure the team has efficient and current onboarding processes.
- Lead and refine the team’s software development processes.
- Explain broad initiatives and vision to Engineering Leadership and Product.
- Demonstrate technical expertise in multiple domains and act as a mentor to others on the team.
- Mentor more junior developers on Rails development.
About The Work You Could Be Doing
- Contributing code as a Principal level IC, demonstrating best practices and setting standards for the rest of the team.
- Lead by example in implementation and execution.
- Be a force multiplier for the work the team does.
- Drive quality implementation across products.
Working at Figment
Figment is a remote-first, globally distributed company. Our culture is centered around honesty, professionalism and risk-taking in a high-growth environment.
For this role we are focusing primarily on hiring people in the North American PST ↔ EST time zones. There are no core hours and teammates are trusted to focus on results and team velocity.
If you’re just outside those time zones, and are willing to make yourself available for a minimum overlap of 3hrs of between 9am-5pm with the PST time zone, and in general making yourself reasonably available for team coordination, we welcome you to apply!
You’ll be working in a lightweight Agile environment, with support from your Engineering Manager and Product Managers, with massive opportunities for autonomy and growth.
Figment fully expects to hire the best talent for a job, and let them have full autonomy and trust in being able to do that job to the best of their abilities with minimal management oversight. We also expect teammates to be able to help shape the team culture and working practices.
Your career development and professional growth is also a key cornerstone of how we grow people and invest in them, and you can expect active coaching and help on those aspects.
The Product Engineering Interview Process
Tech interviewing really sucks. We know. That’s why we try to go above and beyond on making sure that you have the best possible experience with us. We want you to have a great experience with us during the interview process.
- As we go through the interview process, we work to make sure you hear back from us in a timely fashion. If we decide there’s not such a good fit at some point, we’ll try to give you feedback on why we’re not going forward.
- Interview calls are not planned to go longer than 1hr. But, sometimes you’ll get in a good conversation and you both may agree to keep talking.
- We strive for the entire process to take around 2-3 weeks from initial screen to offer. There can be exceptions on either side of the bell curve here, but as a rule that’s the time-frame you should expect.
- Here’s the interview process:
- Screening call with Technical Recruiter.
- Interview with Hiring Manager for a specific team or set of teams.
- Very short technical take home test. These tests are designed to be fairly easy and quick to do, with the scope for you to really showcase your skills for the level you’re applying for.
- Interview with member of the team you’ll be potentially joining, going over your take home test and asking further questions that probe your knowledge.
- If all is well, you can an expect an offer at this stage. If it’s not clear-cut that we should make an offer we might add an additional interview here.
Benefits & Impact
- Remote First + Hybrid Working Environment: Fully remote-first teams with regular team retreats to foster team bonding
- Professional Culture: A culture of honesty, professionalism and risk taking in a high-growth environment
- Work/Life Flexibility: Remote work with a flexible PTO policy – 20 days PTO plus 5 flexible days
- Family-Friendly Benefits: Best in class parental leave and flexible arrangements
- Health & Wellness: Company-paid medical/vision/dental for employees and family
- Compensation: Comprehensive packages including competitive salary, bonus and equity
At Figment, our mission is to support the adoption, growth and long term success of the Web 3 ecosystem. This is Figment’s unique approach: we make it simple to build on the next generation of blockchain technology.
We provide enterprise grade node and staking infrastructure and developer tools while also actively participating in community & governance.