Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you’ll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We’re large enough that you’ll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
What’s the role?
We are looking for a Product Design Manager to lead a team focused on help, support, and compliance experiences for our customers and internal teams.
As a Product Design Manager at Etsy, you’ll connect unique small businesses with interested consumers and makers from around the world. Our team is growing, and we’re looking to add new leaders to help shape our people and products. Product Design Managers at Etsy lead our design team to create human-centered experiences across Etsy’s web and native apps. They collaborate with small, multidisciplinary teams to empower creative people worldwide to buy and sell the things they love.
Our exceptional design team is multi-disciplined, collaborative, and fun. We value continuous learning, optimism, and high-quality work. We have a healthy curiosity, a tolerance for ambiguity, and love making sense of complex problems. We’re driven by our motivation to create incredible experiences for our buyers and sellers.
What’s product design like at Etsy?
Typically, product designers at Etsy work in a squad with a product manager, 3-7 engineers, a researcher, and an analyst. Together they drive their own part of Etsy, deliver solutions to challenging problems and get feedback directly from customers.
Day to day, it looks like:
- Manage a team of 4 designers by mentoring and creating growth opportunities for those on your team
- Partner with Product team leads to shape the vision, strategy, and operations of your initiatives
- Ensure we are building the right products for our customers, and help teams take the best near-term steps toward their long-term vision
- Advocate for our customer, and guide teams to deliver holistic, on-brand experiences by using our design system
- Lead regular design reviews, critiques, and ideation sessions for your teams
- Facilitate continuous learning and improvement for the product design team and its members
- Recruit and hire outstanding design talent and facilitate onboarding of those new awesome designers
- Work with Design Leadership to shape our teams’ culture, processes, tools
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you’ll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
Manager level at Etsy means:
- You can propose new, high-impact product improvements and align the group around an approach, all while taking into account capabilities and limitations of our product
- You have a track record of leading through ambiguity and collaborating with research, analytics and engineers in a continuous delivery environment
- You embody design quality, leveling up design skills, understand what success looks like in the ecommerce space and knowing how to shepherd execution through your design direction, to launch impactful experience change
- You regularly make use of your soft skills to persuade and build alignment: listening, consensus-building, decision-making
- You spend time providing leadership and mentorship to designers and help pilot new methodologies and approaches
- You play a lead role in improving your team’s culture and engagement
Qualities we value in designer leaders:
- 1+ years Product Design people management experience
- 6+ years Product Design experience
- Ability to communicate research findings and design decisions openly and confidently, regardless of the audience
- Ability to give and receive honest, thoughtful, and direct feedback to encourage learning and growth
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done—and then doing it
- Nice to have: eCommerce and internal tools experience
Interested in applying? See our tips for interviewing for a design role at Etsy.
Please note: If you are expressing interest by applying to one Product Designer role, your application will automatically be considered for all open positions at that level. Please do not apply to roles at the same level. We have you covered!
If you’re interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you’d be right for the position. As you’ve hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.