MO helps government leaders achieve their mission by designing intuitive and sustainable customer experiences that build trust and improve satisfaction. We use human-centered design to modernize and transform customer and employee experiences. We’re a small team of interdisciplinary creatives with mission, impact, and service to others deeply rooted in our DNA. We’re naive enough to believe we can change the world and bold enough to take the chance to do it.
We combine design thinking with agile delivery methods to drive visionary, human-centered products to market. Our custom solutions range in size from completely revamping an entire application to refreshing small pieces of a larger product. Everyone at MO directly impacts the direction and success of the company, and we own our roles. We value integrity, curiosity, and courage, and we operate collaboratively and with accountability while consistently challenging each other in the pursuit of excellence. At MO, we delight in creating one-of-a-kind products and experiences. Your imagination is the only limit on what you can do here!
Are you looking to make an impact? We are looking for a Senior Experience Designer to partner with a Product Owner to lead and direct a multi-disciplinary team through the HCD process for our client in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). In this position, you will be working in a small, cross-functional team of researchers, designers, product managers, and solution architects to understand and synthesize customer needs, strategize improved service delivery, and design innovative solutions built on SaaS and PaaS products for VA employees inside various Program Offices of the Veterans Business Administration (e.g., Education, Home Loans, Vocational Rehab, Claims, etc.). As a part of this team, you will also contribute to the culture, process, and visioning of our growing design capabilities. If you have experience integrating human centered design practices into the deployment of impactful, scalable digital services we’d love to hear from you.
Successful candidates will have a track-record of leading high-performing human-centered design teams through discovery stages of PaaS and/or Saas configuration projects. The willingness to dive in and build new systems and processes, sometimes from scratch, is essential, as is leading through influence within a matrixed environment. Previous experience working in a client services organization (i.e., consulting or a digital agency) is helpful but not required, as is interest in working with the government.
What You’ll Do
- Partner with stakeholders to translate the product vision into a product strategy.
- Lead and direct a multidisciplinary team to deliver iteratively and incrementally against prioritized roadmap, driving from insight to product and features in the market.
- Partner with researchers and designers to engage users and stakeholders to understand their pain-points, context of use, journeys, workflow, use cases, and business problems, break them down into components, prioritize the work from concept to delivery and drive them toward desired outcomes with evidence-based decisions and attention to detail.
- Deliver a product that solves problems for end users (desirable), the business (viable), and can be built / configured (feasible) solution for our client organizations (i.e., “balances the three lenses” of design thinking); this includes getting buy-in from client lead and stakeholders on product strategy which is represented through a prioritized roadmap.
- Understand opportunities and constraints across the business, technical architecture, and end-user needs; ruthlessly focus capacity on the highest priority features, epics, and user stories.
- Proactively identify, manage, and communicate risks, dependencies and tradeoffs and partner with the Program Manager to proactively communicate status, priorities, risks, and mitigation strategies and ensure operational support for product delivery.
- Set success metrics and measures impact of product, features, and iterations post-release to guide next iterations/product decisions.
- Enable product feedback loop based on qualitative and quantitative data.
- Contributes to the health of stakeholder and client relationships and with the product team.
- Design for change by creating and nurturing relationships with stakeholders across the product ecosystem, proactively engaging impacted stakeholders to ensure the seamless rollout of new value propositions and features.
- Engage peers within the government ecosystem to proactively and collaboratively problem solve issues that impact our ability to deliver desired outcomes.
What We’re Looking For
- 6+ years of industry experience in software development and product management managing projects with numerous stakeholders, preferably with PaaS and SaaS product experience (e.g., Salesforce, ServiceNow).
- Someone with a strong product sense—taking a structured approach to understanding and solving problems.
- A design thinker and lean product development guru (e.g., hypothesis and experimentation drive approach to MVP definition); delivering using plays from design thinking including research, facilitating workshops, and enabling decision-making with clients.
- An outcome-oriented approach focused on delivering value to end users backed by measurable, data-driven results.
- Experience leading projects and aligning stakeholders around goals.
- Experience turning business requirements and user research outputs (e.g., insights, design opportunities, service design artifacts) into clear, succinct, and well-defined epics, and user stories that development teams can understand.
- Experience working in cross-functional teams using agile methodologies.
- The ability to set expectations, remove blockers, and hold the team accountable to deliver on contractual and client expectations.
- A desire to seek different perspectives, and ask for help when needed.
- Experience developing products that are accessible.
- Experience uncovering client processes, methods, and tools and evolving approaches to align with client expectations.
- Ability to manage people and organizations through change.
- Nice to have: experience working with the federal government (VA experience preferred).
MO’s Employee Value Proposition
- A fun, dynamic working environment with an energetic and diverse team
- A REMOTE first work environment
- An inclusive culture where everyone is welcome
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Opportunities for career growth
- Full health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
- 401K plan
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Short- and Long-Term Disability in addition to Life Insurance (company sponsored)