(United States, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, UK, Ireland, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Poland, Spain, Austria, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Portugal, Netherlands, Switzerland)
We are targeting GMT +1 to GMT -8 in the countries identified with core overlapping hours of 10am-1pm Eastern Standard
At Stack Overflow, our mission is to serve developers. Whether we’re helping developers get answers to their questions, work more efficiently with their team, or find a new job, we build products that make millions of developers’ lives better every day. As a product manager at Stack Overflow, you’ll create and build inclusive products that directly impact the work and the lives of those developers.
We’re looking for a Product Manager to join our Reach & Relevance team which focuses on driving awareness and engagement between technologists and relevant companies around their products, services, and potential job opportunities.
You’ll be establishing and leading the ‘Awareness’ product team which will be responsible for all our digital advertising products and our personalization & targeting features. The ideal candidate has prior experience building products used by advertisers and is excited to grow and innovate on offering.
You’ll have the opportunity to do a lot. Here’s what you can expect during your first year:
- First Month: Get onboarded and brought up to speed on our current plans. You’ll spend a lot of time learning about our products, building rapport with the product, engineering, marketing, sales, customer success, and community teams, and contributing to small features. During this time, you’ll be working closely with our existing Reach & Relevance product teams.
- Next 3 Months: Establish a new, dedicated ‘Awareness’ product team. Acquire a deep understanding of the biggest opportunities and pain points for our various user segments through past and new user research. This will include expanding our product suite to better address their needs, and improving their overall experience on the platform. You’ll speak with users and customers, write specs, run experiments, and iterate on ideas with your team and stakeholders.
- Next 8 months: You will take a leadership role developing the long-term roadmap for your product team. You’ll be involved not just in product development, but in defining long-term strategy, improving our processes, and advocating for the best way for companies to share targeted and relevant content for technologists on Stack Overflow.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with the product team and key stakeholders to execute on the overall strategy for Reach & Relevance
- Establish and lead a new ‘Awareness’ sub-team within Reach & Relevance
- Build a product roadmap, maintain a backlog of projects, and manage the priorities for your product team
- Partner with product research & design to understand the core issues that our users and customers care about, and to minimize the risk of unintended consequences or harm
- Partner with our engineering team to build and deliver features and improvements
- Work closely with various stakeholders across sales, marketing, and community to align strategy and priorities
- Innovate on our products through workshops, research, and experiments
- Define and monitor metrics to determine the effectiveness of features, and administer split tests to measure overall impact
- Interact with our community of developers and customers around the world to gather ideas and feedback
What we need to see:
- 4+ years in a product management or related role
- Experience working on a B2B product, preferably building web or mobile software applications at scale
- Hands-on experience with Google Ad Manager and an understanding of the digital Advertising industry are strongly preferred
- Familiarity with Stack Overflow or other developer communities are preferred
- Excellent spec-writing skills with a clear ability to break down complex problems into smaller, manageable pieces
- An understanding of the technical, design, and UX implications of your functional requirements
- Experience with usability testing and A/B tests
- Demonstrated written communication skills whether that’s online posts, specs, blogging, or anything else
- If this job interests you but you aren’t certain if you meet all of the requirements, apply anyway!
- We’re a distributed, remote team and you’ll be part of a work culture that emphasizes online & asynchronous communication with minimal meetings and ceremonies
- We’re generally very flexible on working hours, though we do ask everyone on the team to maintain an overlap with (at least) 10AM – 1PM US Eastern time
- We don’t consider applications without cover letters – please make sure to include yours and talk about why you want to work here!
About Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for technologists to learn, share their knowledge, collaborate, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers and technologists visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
Our products and tools help developers and technologists in life and at work. These include Stack Overflow for Teams, which focuses on knowledge management and collaboration, and Reach & Relevance, which focuses developer marketing, community development, and employer branding.
We believe in hiring smart people and getting out of their way. We have an office in New York (currently closed due to the pandemic) with some of the best amenities and we have people who work remotely all over the world.
Our core values guide our work.
- Keep Community at Our Center: Community is at the heart of everything we do. Nurture healthy communities where everyone is encouraged to learn and give back.
- Adopt a Customer-First Mindset: Authentically serve our customers by empowering, listening and collaborating with our fellow Stackers.
- Be Flexible and Inclusive: We do our best work when a diverse group of people collaborate in an environment of respect and trust. Create space for different voices to be heard, and allow flexibility in how people work.
- Be Transparent: Communicate openly and honestly, both inside and outside the company. Encourage transparency from others by being empathetic, reliable, and acting with integrity.
- Empower People to Deliver Outstanding Results: Give people space to get their job done, support them when they need it, and practice blameless accountability.
- Learn, Share, and Grow: Adopt a Growth Mindset. Be curious and eager to learn. Aim for ethical, sustainable, long-term growth, both personally and in the company
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive Base Salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and paid sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- 401K match
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If your role is not located in one of our offices…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll be in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunches, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office (re-opening voluntarily Fall 2021), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams).
Employment is conditioned upon successfully completing a background check and having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.