Who we are
Why this job is exciting
Search is central to who we are and what we do at Sourcegraph – we are building universal code search. As the Product Manager for the Search Core team, you have a unique opportunity to have an outsized impact on the business and the product. You will be a crucial member of our exceptional high agency all-remote team, and will help us to achieve ambitious objectives to make our search experience fast, scalable, expressive, easy to use, and shareable.
There are quite a few really interesting problem areas that this team focuses on:
- The performance of our search results, to make sure that relevant results are always returned quickly
- How search results are ranked, bringing the most relevant results to the top
- Building trust in the delivered results through transparency, accuracy, relevance, and performance
Within one month:
- You will start building a trusting relationship with your team and peers.
- You will understand the what, why, and how of the projects that your team is working on, how those projects contribute to our company goals, as well as current status, risks, and mitigations.
- Be transparent in your internal and external communication. Sourcegraph is open source, so most discussions are public or in channels where you communicate directly with our customers.
- Maintain the roadmap, backlog, and curate and solicit feedback for the product area.
Within three months:
- Uphold your side of the PM – EM partnership responsibilities.
- Add value to the user by surfacing real problems and improving the user’s workflow as a developer.
- Gather customer feedback to validate priorities, improve documentation, and define product requirements.
- Your peers in product and engineering are enthusiastic to work with you because you reliably follow-through with your commitments.
- You will be able to communicate the 1-year vision for your team.
Within six months:
- You will have improved planning, communication, and collaboration processes to help the team scale as we grow.
- Grow usage and engagement of your ownership area and Sourcegraph as a whole.
- You will celebrate the fact that your team has delivered key results in support of their objectives for the year.
Within one year:
- You will collaborate with product and engineering leadership to develop the next set of ambitious goals that your org should work towards.
- Communicate product ideas clearly by focusing on the problems that are being solved, the outcomes, and how we will measure success.
As a Product Manager, you tell the story behind the why of your product area. Through this, you influence, excite, and align folks within your team, and across the organization about what your team is working on. You are organized and provide clarity across the organization and within your team to help provide focus. You are constantly curious – wanting to understand and dig into the data and why behind pain points and problems that our users are facing. You can identify root causes of pain. You’re empathetic – you bring the voice of the user into every conversation, and hold empathy and understanding for your teammates to align on a solution that is right.
- 2+ years working as a product manager.
- Experience working as a software engineer.
- Exceptional understanding of Git and Git workflows.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, technical writing ability, and use of data to back up your arguments.
- Ability to stay focused on goals and strategically prioritize work.
- Deep passion for developer tools and productivity enhancements.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to drive and influence product strategy across engineering and design.
Interview process [4 hrs + ~1 async writing exercise]
We have a fully documented interview process in our handbook: https://about.sourcegraph.com/handbook/product/roles/interviews/product_manager
- [30 min] Recruiter screen with our Recruiting team.
- [30 min] Hiring Manager screen
- [60 min] Resume Deep Dive
- Complete an RFC. Your RFC is then reviewed by members of the Product team.
- [2 hrs] “Onsite Interview”
- [60 mins] Meet with two members of our Product team (Product Designer & Product Manager) to review your RFC.
- [30 mins] Meet with your Engineering Manager counterpart.
- [30 mins] Values interview with 2 teammates from outside the Product team.
- [30 min] Leadership Interview with Christina Forney, VP Product
- [15 min] Leadership Interview with Beyang Liu (CTO)
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role’s requirements. We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.