Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
Code for America is looking for a talented Program Manager who will join our newly formed Insight and Impact Program team, dedicated to improving people-centered delivery of Safety Net benefits by building the capacity of government leaders.
About the Role:
The Program Manager of Insight and Impact will work within the Safety Net Team at Code for America driving the tactical implementation of projects in this new capability-building program, Insight and Impact. In this role, they will collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to share and apply learnings from across Insight and Impact projects through consulting, advising, and resource sharing.
You are a perfect fit for this role if you are a process improver, systems thinker, and compelling communicator who believes in our vision of a safety net that serves all people with dignity and respect. You know that systemic change takes time and persistence, and you lead with curiosity and empathy. You thrive on a cross-functional team, in a fast paced environment, and gravitate towards opportunities for growth, learning, and connection.
This role may be based in San Francisco or remote with up to 35% travel, and reports to the Associate Director of the Insight and Impact program. Code for America prioritizes our staff’s health and safety, so we will not have employees travel until further notice (projected to be later in 2021).
In this position you will:
- Manage the implementation of Insight and Impact projects and initiatives in collaboration with a cross-functional team that includes (but is not limited to) service design, research, and engineering.
- Maintain external relationships with state, federal, policy, advocacy, and community partners to ensure that Code for America’s Safety Net learnings and perspective can be scaled effectively and lead to sector-wide adoption and systems change.
- Problem solve around stakeholder engagement, identifying opportunities for deeper learning and influencing with data and program insights. Build and support existing relationships as well as spot opportunities for expanding our network of partners and collaborators.
- Develop and maintain standard I&I team working processes that support cross-functional projects, including tracking priorities to meet short and long-term goals.
- Synthesize learnings from across Insight and Impact initiatives and contribute to a cohesive Safety Net body of knowledge and perspective at Code for America.
- Document and share learnings both internally across programs, as well as to external audiences, through the writing and editing of articles, blog posts, web copy, “thought partner” briefs, narratives, internal and external memos, etc.
- Proactively identify and explore opportunities for process improvement across the Safety Net Portfolio, including how information is shared and executed.
- Highly organized and creative problem solver with strong project management skills, attention to detail, successful follow-through, superb execution, and the ability to prioritize across multiple projects and workflows.
- A savvy multi-tasker and generalist who drives strong tactical delivery and implementation on projects, while also connecting dots and integrating learnings from across Insight and Impact projects.
- Peer leader who can work collaboratively with employees across disciplines (engineering, product, service design, data science, qualitative research) and at all levels of the organization, and is proactive around team and external communications.
- Strong verbal and written communicator, with the ability to build internal alignment and visibility, and to find common ground and build relationships across differences (especially within a government environment).
- Navigates ambiguity successfully, flourishes with minimal guidance, and knows when and how to engage key stakeholders and when to consult for advice on decision-making.
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Experience with eligibility or enrollment, either working with government or community assistance, particularly within Medicaid and/or WIC.
- Lived experience with Social Safety Net programs, like SNAP, Medicaid, TANF, or WIC.
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun working environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, we extend this to our hiring process. This role at this level is ranged from ($85,850- $116,150) in yearly salary. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires. That target for this role is $97,213. Note that this range and salary target are for the San Francisco/ Bay Area market and are adjusted for employees living in other places.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.