The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Project Officer to join our team, reporting to the Senior Manager with day to day guidance and oversight by the Lead Project Manager. As the Project Officer, you will be responsible for supporting a range of business operations initiatives and projects of varying scope and complexity.
You will be part of the Continuous Process Improvement team within the Finance & Administration department that focuses on continuous process improvement and leveraging technology solutions that drive automation and collaboration, and enable our processes and people to deliver excellent services. A significant amount of the work undertaken by this team is project based and will be supported by project teams. The project management support of these projects is significant, and you will have the opportunity to build your skills and analytical capabilities under the guidance of the Lead Project Manager. This role will be for a 1 year contract. Candidates must be willing to work within timezones UTC-8 to UTC-4.
You are responsible for:
Project Planning + Management Support
- Coordinate with internal stakeholders to support project activities;
- Support defining project scope, and project plan, including developing critical paths and identifying dependencies;
- Support root cause analysis and resolution identification;
- Develop and manage project documentation;
- Develop and iterate project tools;
- Potentially leading on smaller, lower complexity projects;
- Provide project planning support to the Departmental Initiatives as required.
Project Monitoring + Reporting
- Maintain project monitoring tools;
- Draft project reports;
- Developing presentations + visual diagrams.
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s + 2 years related experience, Master’s, or equivalent work experience in project management.
- Wide-ranging experience and an understanding of project management practices to resolve complex challenges in effective and creative ways.
- Experience supporting cross-functional initiatives, programs or projects
Qualities that are important to us:
- You are a proactive problem solver and consensus builder.
- You enjoy collaborating with a range of stakeholders, and you value knowledge sharing, and cross-functional collaboration.
- You have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as strong presentation skills.
- You enjoy developing, standardizing and teaching others how to utilize project management approaches and tools to leverage results.
- You have an eye for detail and a high standard for delivering complete and accurate work.
- You have the ability to work to tight deadlines under pressure while providing practical solutions.
- You thrive in a results oriented culture that favors collaborative decision making.
- You are a flexible and creative individual capable of managing multiple priorities and projects in a diverse environment.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and are able to adapt to a rapidly changing business environment.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Background in Lean Six Sigma.
- Experience in using Asana.
- Functional knowledge of process improvement methodologies.
- Understanding of the free culture, free software, or online rights movements.
- Experience working on projects with stakeholders in different time zones and from different cultures.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.