Deepgram is a next-generation end-to-end deep learning speech company that is revolutionizing automatic speech recognition and natural language understanding. We hold multiple patents for end-to-end deep learning on GPUs and are proud to offer the most accurate, scalable, customizable, and robust speech recognition available today.
At Deepgram, we spend every day tackling big, real-world challenges in speech. We strongly believe that speech is the next frontier of interface and know that the speech technologies of 30 years ago won’t be tomorrow’s game changers. That’s where Deepgram’s Research Scientists come in. Our customers hire us to solve their hardest problems in speech, taking real, complex audio and transforming it into novel insights. These challenges provide opportunities for creativity and innovative problem-solving every day.
Deepgram is looking for a Research Scientist to tackle some of the most exciting and difficult problems on the forefront of ASR and NLU technologies. In this role, you will become a leading expert in our model training techniques and a valued resource for the team on issues related to model creation and refinement. You will design, train, and deploy state-of-the-art ASR models on the latest GPU hardware, as well as explore new learning techniques, data analytics methods, and software architectures to improve Deepgram’s product. You will also lead the identification and investigation of opportunities to improve our existing solutions as well as developing new capabilities, including research on the design and deployment of CNNs and RNNs, the development of new ASR and NLU training algorithms, and more.
Our ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, impact-driven startup environment where learning new skills on the fly is admired and encouraged. You’ll work alongside top caliber ASR and DL experts in an environment that is collegial and fun. You’ll see your curiosity and enthusiasm for the research cascade into the work of your peers. You’ll respond to new challenges by taking initiative, making a plan, following the data, and communicating your results to the team for feedback. You’ll learn our customer use cases and write efficient, production-quality code to respond to their needs. You’ll have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs — and influence our product roadmap in turn. We look forward to you bringing your whole self to work, sharing learnings from your latest experiments, and collaborating with us to advance the state of speech technology.
- Understand the latest advances in deep learning and speech analytics, with a particular eye towards their implications and applications within our products.
- Develop new, or maturing existing, models for speech analytics.
- Analyze new datasets for untapped potential.
- Deploy new models to production.
- Configure systems (software, hardware, network, etc.) for optimal machine learning performance.
- Develop state-of-the-art tools for correcting, improving, and enhancing ASR performance and NLU features using a variety of deep learning techniques.
- Remain steadfastly results-driven in the face of ambiguous problems and uncertain outcomes.
- 5+ years of experience in deep learning research, with a solid understanding of the applications and implications of different neural network types, architectures, and loss mechanisms.
- Experience working with speech data in the context of research or industry intelligence systems.
- Familiarity with one or more of the popular deep learning frameworks: PyTorch, TensorFlow, Keras, etc.
- Competence with Python, and preferably knowledge of C, C++, and/or Rust.
- Familiarity navigating UNIX-style systems.
- Comfort with communicating and brainstorming in groups, and with leading new research initiatives.
- Understanding of traditional machine learning algorithms and how to use them effectively in practice.
Deepgram’s end-to-end deep neural network is revolutionizing the speech-to-text (STT) market and taking on the big guys. We’re redefining what companies can do with voice technology by offering a platform with AI architectural advantage, not legacy tech retrofitted with AI. We’ve raised over $56 million and have been recognized as an Inc. Best Workplace (2021 and 2022), a Forbes Top 50 AI Company to Watch (2021), and a CB Insights Top 100 AI Startup (2021), among others.
Our tech advantage is end-to-end deep learning, but our strength lies in our diversity of people, ideas, and experiences that allow our company to create amazing STT products for people who are true innovators in the field. We believe every voice should be heard—and understood—from our transcriptions to our customers to our employees. Come join our revolution to unlock the power of voice technology for everyone. We want to hear what you’ve got to say!