Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. Our code intelligence platform helps developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced exponential growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code intelligence yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it–just like Google). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
To achieve our mission, we’re looking for a Sales Development Representative to help grow our values-driven, all-remote team. Reporting to the Head of Sales Development, you will be a key member of our fast-growing and high-performing sales team and will be our boots-on-the-ground solution to building personal relationships and making our prospective customers successful. Specifically, you will leverage your past cold calling and/or lead generation experience to communicate with potential clients via phone, emails, and Linkedin to develop an interest in Sourcegraph.
Sound like a match? We want to hear from you!
Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a location requirement for this role. However, your working hours must overlap with PST or EST for at least 30 hours/week.
Why this job is exciting
As an SDR, you will have more responsibility, upside, and growth potential than anywhere else otherwise comparable. We strive to make Sourcegraph the best company where exceptionally talented people can thrive. If you join us, we know you’ll make a big impact! Here’s what we’re thinking:
Within one month, you will…
- Begin 1:1’s with your manager, understand your 30-6-90 plan, meet & shadow current members of the Sourcegraph team, and delve into your territory
- Set your OKRs (Objectives and Key Results) with your manager and develop an action plan to achieve them
- Begin to prospect within your target accounts and understand how to utilize your knowledge to overcome objections
Within three months, you will…
- Have a strong understanding of Sourcegraph and feel comfortable pitching our software to prospects from self-sourced efforts
- Meet regularly with your assigned Account Executives, Manager, and peers to become an expert on the product, talk track and prospecting
- Continue your education around Sourcegraph’s competitive advantage and continue to strengthen your business acumen
- Consistently achieve your activity goals
- Become an expert on internal tools and processes
Within six months, you will…
- Consistently meet or exceed your quota
- Complete trainings to ensure you are up-to-date on new releases and more
- Continue to focus on your OKRs
- Assist in the development of best practices for lead generation
Within one year, you will…
- Be seen as a trusted business-advisor and Sourcegraph expert, making a significant impact on the Lead Generation team
- Be considered a top-performing SDR on the team by consistently exceeding your goals
- Work with sales and marketing to help create new campaigns to drive pipeline
- Set an example for new SDRs, and assist in training, onboarding and motivating new team members
Our SDRs are hard-working, results-driven, and passionate sales professionals! We are prospecting machines – passionate about applying our hunter mentality and desire to win. We celebrate the wins together and help each other through uncharted territory.
You are an enthusiastic, driven, and results-oriented SDR who shares our values and has a passion for all things sales. We are seeking a results-oriented, motivated and strategic ‘hunter’ who is laser-focused on building sales pipeline without our target market. On a day-to-day basis, you will be responsible for cold-calling prospects and educating the market about the power of Sourcegraph and generating opportunities with net-new customers. You will become an expert at using lead generation tools to routinely extract contacts and craft accurate and targeted lists of prospects. You will be able to conduct sales development best practices with email, phone, and social drips to connect with new prospects.
- You have 2+ years of relevant sales experience required; internship experience will be considered
- You have previous cold calling experience required
- You have a collaborative mentality by prioritizing ‘we’ and not focusing on ‘me’
- You are results driven & competitive in nature
- You have superb writing, communication, and listening skills; you must understand objections and defeat them by turning skeptics into ecstatic new customers
- You have outstanding time management skills
- You have high level of empathy – it’s important for our SDR’s to be a good person to peers and prospects
- You have proven ability to make strong connections and overcome rejection to achieve results
- You have desire to grow in your career
We pay above-average salary because we want to hire the best people who are fully focused on helping Sourcegraph succeed, not worried about paying bills. You will have the flexibility to work and live anywhere in the world, and we’ll never take your location into account when determining your compensation. As an open and transparent company that values equitable and competitive compensation for everyone, we work hard to make our compensation ranges visible across the board. To determine your salary, we use a number of data-driven salary sources and target the high-end of the range, ensuring that we’re always paying above market, regardless of where you live.
The target compensation package for our SDR role is $70,000 USD base + $30,000 USD commission ($100,000 total on target earnings). We will never base your pay on your previous salary.
In addition to our cash compensation, we offer equity (because when we succeed as a company, we want you to succeed, too) and generous perks & benefits.
Interview process [~4.5 hours total]
Below is the interview process you can expect for this role (you can read more about the types of interviews in our Handbook). It may look like a lot of steps, but rest assured that we move quickly and the steps are designed to help you get the information needed to determine if we’re the right fit for you… Interviewing is a two-way street, after all!
- Intro Conversation Stage – we have initial conversations to get to know you better…
- Team Interview Stage – we then delve into your experience in more depth and introduce you to members of the team…
- Final Interview Stage – we move you to our final round, where you meet cross-functional partners and gain a better understanding of our business and values holistically…
- [30 min] Department Head Interview w/ Head of Sales Development
And that’s it! Please note – you are welcome to request additional conversations with anyone you would like to meet, but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.