What is VEED.IO?
VEED.IO is an online video editing platform that makes creative videos easy and accessible to all. Our platform is used by millions of creators around the world who use our products to tell stories, create content, grow audiences and more (hey, you might even know some of them!).
Since we started VEED in 2018, we have grown much faster than we could have ever imagined. We are now one of the most popular video editing applications in the world. As our user base grows so does our talented team and we would love you to be part of that journey.
How do we build the product?
We love talking to our users and think it is the best way to get to know them. This is important because after all, they are the ones paying for it!
To date, this strategy has guided our entire product development and has served us extremely well….
That being said, as our customer base keeps growing it is becoming harder and harder to do this manually. Our ambition is to place data-driven decision making at the core of our culture as we move forward and we need your help to make this happen!
Good design is important not only to us but to our users as well. And of course, behind any well designed product or service is a talented group of people that makes the magic happen. Building powerful video editing tools in the browser that are extremely accessible is a huge technical challenge. We are an ambitious team and are constantly trying to push the boundaries of what is possible on the web. And this is exactly why we are always on the lookout for the most talented, creative and exciting teammates to join us!
What will you be doing?
Building a video editor that our users love, of course!
You will be primarily be working in Node JS on the API team (and C++ for video rendering if you are up for a challenge ), to help us deliver more video editing features and integrations to our API customers. As an early-stage startup we are not extremely overbuilt and have a lot of greenfield space to explore, test new ideas and do research.
We are always open to new ideas as well! Is graphQL something we want to consider? Or maybe something needs automating? Kubernetes? A new pattern we should adopt? Tell us more! We love people who are curious and take initiative.
We are looking for someone who gets thrilled by the idea of solving deep technical problems, takes pride in their own work and likes to get creative to build innovative things. We really believe that best candidates typically don’t think of themselves as just engineers, but rather view themselves as makers. This means not being afraid of working on something you have never done before, have a broad set of skills you are always looking to expand and most importantly you thrive in an environment where there is lots of freedom.
We also know that not everyone fits into boxes and we are all always learning. However, here are a few things that we are looking for;
- Someone who has a strong knowledge of JS fundamentals as well as strong experience building, maintaining, scaling as well as testing REST APIs.
- You are familiar with SQL based databases.
- You are familiar with popular technologies in the space (e.g. GraphQL / Elixir + Phoenix / Mongo / etc) and know the best tool for the job.
- We care about how we write our code. So we are looking for someone who is comfortable going through code reviews, knows or would like to learn about testing their code and make it more performant.
- Have a startup-mentality. Be a problem solver.
- We don’t care about university degrees, but ideally we would like to see you have a good bit of theoretical knowledge in areas you have worked in and interested in.
- Have good communication skills and be a team player who is happy to lend a hand if someone gets stuck.
- Someone who can roll up their sleeves and jump on different things. Building a simple online video editor isn’t always so simple, so you might work on WebGL, API, DevOps or Architecture stuff. You don’t need to know it all, but someone who will is not scared of a challenge.
- Knowledge of C++ or video related code is a bonus, but not required.
Our entire team is remote (and always has been). We are happy as long as you’re happy. You will have the freedom and autonomy you need to make decisions and do your best work. Our team is smart, energetic, extremely talented and driven. We don’t take ourselves too seriously, but we all love what we do.
Work from home with your dog?
Work in a cafe?
Need a few days off?
Swap a weekday for a weekend?
Working a half-day?
All of the above is 100% good for us!
OH one more thing! We would really encourage applications from ALL candidates. Our team is diverse in every way possible and we want to keep it that way