Hi, I’m Julia, Engineering Manager at Customer.io. I’m looking for a Senior Back-End Engineer to join our remote team.
We’re fun-loving, passionate and highly effective people. We value diversity (our core values include awkwardness for a reason), and believe that embracing unique perspectives is key to our success. We ship fast, with just enough process to keep us coordinated.
Our customers are product-led growth companies who treat the messages they send as a core part of their product experience (e.g. Notion, Segment). They send us data about their customers, then automate email, push, slack, and other messages based on that data. Our back-end is written in Go. We ingest billions of data points and send billions of messages per year.
Below are two challenges this role might focus on:
- We want an integration marketplace that’s scalable for developers and simple for marketers. Our customers can’t be successful without integrating their data with us. Yet less than half of them do. We plan to build a platform that enables developers outside of Customer.io to configure key areas of our product.
- We want a market-leading automation experience that supports many-to-many relationships (e.g. Accounts & Users, Orders & Products). No one in our industry does this well. If we play our cards right, we’ll replace gnarly custom code with no-code automations, like the ability to message candidates in a job marketplace when a new job matches their preferences.
What you’ll do:
- Be a model and mentor for writing well-architected, well-tested, performant, easy-to-understand services in Go that help our customers send timely & relevant messages at scale
- Apply your unique perspective to help us define, design, and build the next generation of features and infrastructure needed to help our customers and our company to flourish
- Be part of a small team of developers that value high-quality software, practice continuous improvement, inspire collaboration, and believe in rapid iterative development
- Bring your technical expertise to solve hard problems, adapt to change as we rapidly grow, and leverage new technologies and best practices
What we’re looking for:
- Willing to work during team overlap hours: between 9 AM and 12 PM East Coast Americas time (based between ET and GMT+4)
- A track record of delivering performant and scalable distributed applications on cloud infrastructure, preferably in Go
- Experience working with customers and applying a deep understanding of their needs to produce timely solutions to their real-world problems
- A collaborative mindset backed by excellent communication skills and a desire to help us make great decisions in an empathetic and respectful way
- Comfort working in UNIX environments and applying modern collaborative development practices
- Experience in working with RDB systems, preferably MySQL
- Experience working within a distributed company is preferred
Our mission at Customer.io is to power automated communication that people like to receive. Today over 4,300 internet businesses use Customer.io to manage, send, and track performance of email, SMS, push notifications, and in-app messages. Unlike typical marketing platforms, Customer.io helps businesses increase relevance by using behavioral data: what people do or don’t do when logged in to a web or mobile app.
We offer a starting salary of USD $118,000 – $167,400 USD depending on experience and subject to market rate adjustment.
Benefits at Customer.io include:
- Unlimited PTO – we encourage 20 vacation days (in addition to holidays and sick days) so that you can unwind, unplug, and recharge
- 100% medical, dental, vision, and supplemental insurance for you and your dependents
- 12 weeks paid parental leave – for birth, adoption, or foster care
- 401k retirement matching – up to 5% dollar for dollar match to retirement contributions
- Health and wellness allowance – up to $200 USD per month that can be used for your healthy living needs, including gym membership, acupuncture, massage, or bike repairs
- Home office stipend – up to $2,000 USD to help you get your home office set up so you can do your best work
- Internet + cell phone reimbursement – up to $200 USD per month for your internet and cell phone plans
- Co-working space reimbursement – up to $300 USD per month for those times you’d prefer to work in a co-working environment
- Learning + development – up to $2,000 USD reimbursement per year to use on conferences, books, classes, workshops, and passion projects – anything that will help you develop your skills
- 1 month paid sabbatical after four years at Customer.io – to treat yourself to a vacation, or spend however you choose
- 1 annual company summit per year and opportunities to meet in smaller groups throughout the year
- Flexible schedule, work anywhere you want! – as long as you have a reliable internet connection and some overlapping work time with your manager, you can work where and when you want
All final candidates will be asked to complete an employment and education verification authorization form (which allows us to verify your job history and education listed on your resume) as part of our pre-employment process.
Customer.io recognizes the stifling impact of systemic injustice on diverse communities. We commit to using our influence to increase inclusion and equity within the tech industry. We strive to build an inclusive team culture, implement bias-free hiring practices, and develop community partnerships to expand our global impact.
Check out our careers page for more information about why you should come work with us! We are passionate about our core values of Empathy, Transparency, Responsibility, and Awkwardness and are looking for new coworkers to share and build that passion!
How to apply
Apply at the link below and tell us why you’re interested in the position! There is no advantage to applying early so put your best foot forward. We plan to respond to all applicants with a status update about your application.
Here’s what you can expect from our hiring process (order is subject to change):
- 30 minute video call with the Hiring Manager
- 50 minute video call with two potential teammates
- Homework assignment + Review call with two potential teammates
- Final call with our VP of Engineering