We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Our mission is to make a profound difference in the quality of life of one million people, by removing the financial complexity of entrepreneurship. Businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between doing their books and running their businesses.
Bench solves this dilemma by taking bookkeeping off of their hands. Learn more about us on our About page.
We’re growing fast, and we’re looking for you to join us on this incredible journey.
What does the People team look like?
We’re a warm and caring bunch, obsessed with creating an incredible place to work for our Benchmates. Check out our culture guide! We’re also one of the most critical functions in our business. The People team carefully manages the employee experience from beginning to end. Our Total Rewards team ensures we are always able to attract, motivate and retain our talented people through competitive compensation and benefits programs. This is where you come in. We’re at a critical point in our growth. You’ll own the day-to-day management of our Canadian benefits program and play a pivotal role in designing and creating new benefits programs as we enter new geographies.
What you’ll be getting up to:
- You have a deep understanding of who our Benchmates are and what they want. You’ll collaborate with other members of the Total Rewards team to design a creative, best-in-class benefits program.
- You understand that the act of recognition is key in demonstrating to our people how valued their contributions are. You’ll develop and roll out recognition programs that delight and engage our people.
- Kick start and manage the expansion of our benefits into the US and beyond as our global hiring strategy develops.
- Work with our benefits brokers to design, negotiate, and grow our core benefits program.
- Design and implement an efficient, people-first, benefits onboarding experience.
- Collaborate with our Financial Planning team to align our business forecasting with your analysis of future benefit costs.
- Ensure we are compliant with relevant laws and regulations in a quickly expanding remote-first workforce.
- Audit invoices while managing and maintaining our employee data through our benefits portals.
- Work with our recruitment team to promote the value of our benefits to our future talent pipeline.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have:
- 3+ years of benefits administration experience in a scaling and rapidly changing organization.
- A people-centered approach: You’re collaborative, optimistic and you listen to understand, demonstrating kindness and empathy in all interactions.
- A drive to make things better: You’re not satisfied with “good enough”, and nothing that needs fixing is just someone else’s job. You love to experiment, try new things, and drive improvement; within your own team, and across the organization.
- Zoom-in, Zoom-out: You can take a big-picture perspective to identify and stay focused on what’s most important, then zoom-in on the details to execute seamlessly.
- Intellectual curiosity: It’s not enough for you to know the what – you need to know the why! You are energized by challenging problems and are persistent/resourceful in your efforts to solve them.
- Startup hustle: You are highly motivated, proactive, comfortable with change and ambiguity. You have a humble, team-player attitude and are ready to pitch in wherever you are needed most.
Bonus points, if you have:
- Experience designing atypical non-cash reward programs
- Implementation and design experience with US benefits.
- Benefits set up experience outside of North America.
The extra details:
- This is a full-time permanent position because we want to spend lots of time with your wonderful self!
- In addition to stock options and an extended benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision, this role pays an annual base salary $60,480 to $86,400 CAD salary depending on experience.
- All Benchmates have access to Inkblot Therapy, our virtual counseling service to support mental wellbeing, and Bravely, our confidential, on-demand, 1:1 professional coaching service.
- Our office has gone fully remote! We’ll set you up with everything you need to work from home, from day one.
- We’re accepting applications from people in BC, AB & ON in Canada.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.