Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. We help developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced 4x year-over-year revenue growth with zero customer churn, and our $50M Series C from Sequoia has given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code search yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it–just like Google web search). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
We are seeking a seasoned Brand Designer to help us drive the awareness, perception and engagement of the Sourcegraph brand forward as we work to make coding accessible to everyone. You have strong opinions on what defines good brand design, what makes a strong-yet-flexible design system, and know what it takes to express a brand’s values and personality through design.
Sound like a match? We want to hear from you!
Why this job is exciting
Built as a multidisciplinary in-house agency, the Sourcegraph Brand Team exists to elevate, activate and communicate the value of Sourcegraph to the world. We make this possible by serving as a strategic creative partner to XFN stakeholders, offering full-service creative support with a rapid, flexible, iterative process that stems from a deep understanding of our products, our processes, and our people.
The Brand team serves as a strategic partner to cross-functional teams and stakeholders, offering full-service creative support, market insights and brand strategy with a rapid, flexible, iterative process that stems from a deep understanding of our audience and the challenges they face, as well as our products and the solutions they provide.
Within one month, you will…
- Study and become an expert in Sourcegraph’s suite of products and solutions, our story, our brand, our values, and our audience
- Lead the development and evolution of our brand design system as we continue to add new touchpoints and deploy more awareness campaigns
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure cohesion and consistency of brand touchpoints across the entire customer lifecycle (Demand Gen, Sales, Customer Support, Community, etc.)
- Contribute to the ongoing exploration and evolution of the Sourcegraph brand, our identity, what it stands for, and how we represent it visually
- Share brand design strategies and plans, experiment results, insights, and relevant category trends with the Marketing team and broader company
Within three months, you will…
- Provide recommendations and an action plan on brand identity refinements and expansion opportunities
- Develop insights and strategy from data and trends that push our visual brand forward
- Have started to build a stable of freelance designers, illustrators, and production artists to help us scale our team’s impact
- Assist in defining and designing the Sourcegraph brand guide 3.0, including iconography, illustration styles, and layout templates
- Develop actionable tutorials, toolkits, and guidelines to help internal teams and external partners correctly and consistently activate the brand identity
- Lead strategies for implementing and collecting design research, customer insights and market research to inform brand evolution and expansion
- Conceptualize and execute on brand marketing campaigns to improve performance
- Identify and drive implementation of a digital asset management system
Within six months, you will…
- Take ownership of and optimize our brand design tool stack, ensuring file compatibility and ease of transfer for distributed teams
- Perform regular design readouts, trend reports and analyses on the competitive landscape, including same-stack product offerings for similar audience verticals
- Ensure the development and execution of marketing communications is on-brand and in support of Sourcegraph’s business goals
- Provide education, training, and mentoring as-needed to internal teammates on brand design, brand consistency, and visual design best practices
Within one year, you will…
- Help oversee the complete redesign of our dot com experience, working with industry-leading agency support and collaborating with multiple internal stakeholders
- Have prepared a design team hiring plan based on needs analysis and have begun recruiting for approved roles
- Thoroughly assessed our brand identity and provide actionable recommendations for refreshing or completely redesigning the identity system
You are a design fanatic and love big-picture, blue sky conceptual thinking as much as you love sweating the details, and you have no fear of presenting your concepts and your designs at executive or company-wide meetings. Most of all, you understand the power of a strong visual brand presence and the direct lines it draws between customer loyalty, advocacy, growth, and business success. If you are passionate about brand design and want to help us reach and connect with the global audience of developers (30 million and counting), then this may be the role you’ve been looking for.
- 7+ years experience working as a brand designer, graphic designer, or communications designer in a B2B/B2C corporate environment, or agency environment working directly with high-growth technology clients
- Extraordinary presentation and communication skills with experience presenting to leadership, exec teams, boards, and external partners
- Experience validating and championing design choices through research, trend analysis, and internal conviction
- Experience leading creative teams across multiple disciplines (designers, animators, illustrators, writers, filmmakers, developers, etc.)
- Experience collaborating with and leading productive cross-functional teams towards a shared goal
- Must provide portfolio featuring work across brand systems and campaign design
- Brand design experience in the developer or technology product space
- Experience building and managing brands in the enterprise software space
- You’ve worked on large-scale, award-winning creative projects that propelled brands forward
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive to succeed in fast-paced, adaptive environments
- You apply.
- [30 min] Recruiter screen.
- [45 min] HM intro call with Tommy Pesavento, Director of Brand Design.
- [45 min] Video interview 1 with Erica Lindberg, Director of Content Strategy
- [45 min] Video interview 2 with Rob Rhyne, Product Design
- [1 hr] Portfolio presentation with Tommy, Erica, Rob, Andy Schumeister and Kacie Jenkins.
- [30 min] Follow-up with Tommy Pesavento.
- [30 min] Kacie Jenkins, VP, Marketing
- We check your references and make you an offer!
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.