Community powers direct relationships and one-on-one conversations between Leaders and their Members through text messaging at scale. Launched in 2019 and headquartered in Santa Monica, Calif., Community is breaking new ground in trusted marketing and communications channels by connecting Leaders–global pop culture stars, local community organizers, small business owners and brands–to their Members to drive conversations that convert into actions, sales, revenue and more.
About the Role and Your Impact
As Senior Counsel, Product & Privacy you will support the legal function at Community, specifically relating to Product and Privacy, reporting into our Chief Legal and Policy Officer. You will serve as a trusted resource for our team, working to mitigate risk across the business while contributing to a positive, professional and inclusive culture.
You must be strategic and capable of driving decision-making, while also maintaining a willingness to roll up their sleeves on a daily basis. You will manage risk, prepare the company for scale and international expansion, ensure compliance across all departments, and help to continuously increase efficiencies within the legal department.
What You’ll Do
- Advise on regulatory and data privacy requirements, including CCPA, CPRA, and GDPR
- Develop, implement, and oversee Community’s data governance system
- Provide go-to-market legal advice related to the development and launch of Community’s messaging platform globally and ensure compliance with respective worldwide privacy and consumer protection laws
- Advise across product and engineering teams regarding new feature development and company practices that impact privacy or consumer protection laws
- Advise on intellectual property, regulatory, data privacy requirements, policy, employment, and advise on strategic legal matters and legal implications to mitigate risk and protect Community’s business
- Maintain up-to-date awareness of current developments in the legal landscape; continually seek out and introduce new trends that could impact the growth and effectiveness of the business
What You’ll Bring
- J.D. and 7+ years of experience
- Admitted to practice in California or eligible for in-house counsel registration
- Experience working in-house at a high-growth startup preferred; experience at a Technology company a must
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Interest in building systems and developing policies
- An ability to communicate legal conclusions clearly to those who do not have a legal background
- Self-starter who is able to deliver in a fast-paced environment with minimal oversight and changing priorities
- Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills; excellent judgment
- Expertise in various collaboration and organizational tools
- Prior experience advising on one or more of the following: TCPA, COPPA, CCPA, GDPR, billing and payments, content moderation, messaging services, global expansion
- CIPP certification preferred
- Technical / engineering background or skills a plus
Community is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We commit ourselves to inclusivity across race, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, body size, disability, age, and class – in everything we do.