SENIOR DATA ANALYST, DASHBOARD DEVELOPMENT (TEMPORARY CONTRACT)
Duration: 5 months
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Senior Data Analyst to join our team, reporting to the Lead Strategist of the Global Data & Insights team. The Global Data & Insights team supports Wikimedia Foundation learning through aggregating data about our community environments from across global as well as internal data sources to look geographically and linguistically at relative presence and growth in various movement capacities to understand our progress at diversity and inclusion. We are working to enable easier access to such insights through the use of customizable dashboards built for teams to use in their annual planning and everyday resource decision-making.
As the Senior Data Analyst for dashboard development, you will be responsible for designing data architecture for maximum effectiveness, providing technical support for efficient extraction, cleaning, and analysis, and developing superset dashboards and data visualizations. The Senior Data Analyst will support the Global Data & Insights Team for five months for up to 30 hours per week to develop our dashboard data architectural design and dashboards in the following ways:
You are responsible for:
- Designing data architecture for maximum effectiveness. Build data frames and pipelines for effective and efficient storage and retrieval. Design data references to ease interaction between data of different coverages and frequencies. Develop metadata references, and input to the curation plan for customizing dashboards for different audience types and the appropriate tools to reach them.
- Providing technical support for efficient extraction, cleaning, and analysis: Productionize annual data extraction process for base data including existing internal and external global datasets, as well as for data cleaning and quality assurance of calculations for roll-ups. Guide structuring of annual data for efficient storage and use in repeat analyses.
- Developing superset dashboards and data visualizations: Ensure highest quality selection of visualization types and coding for customization of visualizations for annual performance and YoY change markers. Design of dashboard prototypes for optimization through consultations and develop initial dashboard and customizable dashboard template.
Skills and Experience:
- Candidate must be fluent in English and have obtained a Bachelor’s degree and five years related experience or a Master’s degree and at least three years related experience; or equivalent advanced work experience in data analysis, data science, research and analytics or a related field.
- Experienced professional able to resolve a wide range of data challenges in elegant and creative ways.
- Advanced statistics training and experience.
- Ability to address problems of diverse scope using good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions and optimizing for efficiency as well as quality.
- Advanced data extraction, cleaning, coding, and data visualization training and experience.
- Experience with open-source tools.
- Required language and systems skills:
- Apache Hive
- Apache Superset
- Google Suite (Including the full suite of collaborative apps and advanced coding in google sheets/MS excel)
Qualities that are important to us:
- Verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate complex technical information to both lay and analytics audiences.
- Proven ability to adhere to deadlines and to seek out learning & support.
- Collaborative working style
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Strong value and mission fit with the Wikimedia movement and Foundation
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and awareness
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Collaborative working style
The Wikimedia Foundation is…
…the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.