Community powers direct relationships and one-on-one conversations between Leaders and their Members through text messaging at scale. Launched in 2019 and headquartered in Santa Monica, Calif., Community is breaking new ground in trusted marketing and communications channels by connecting Leaders–global pop culture stars, local community organizers, small business owners and brands–to their Members to drive conversations that convert into actions, sales, revenue and more.
About the Role and Your Impact
As a Senior Dev Lead on the Engineering team, you will work in a cross-functional team to build APIs and features that connect Community to our partners and SaaS platforms. Along the way, you’ll hire an autonomous team of cross-disciplinary engineers to develop, iterate, and maintain production-ready software. You and your team will build on top of our cutting-edge event sourcing system that connects our users via SMS messages, mobile and web apps.
You will be working with a distributed, remote-first team that spans across North America, Europe, and beyond. Your day-to-day would be focused on the management of your team, writing code, pairing with other engineers, and working with product and other teams to deliver innovative features on a cutting edge stack. Last, but not least – we are growth-oriented, both as a company and as individuals: we take learning seriously and invest in growing our skills and our team’s capabilities.
What you’ll do
- Manage a small team of engineers (5-10 engineers) with diverse skill sets such as frontend, backend, infrastructure
- Work side-to-side with a product manager and a designer to form a “triad” that owns the roadmap and feature delivery for the team
- Work closely with external partners in the form of SaaS integrations, both for fetching information from external services as well as allowing external services to integrate with Community’s platform
- Help improve processes and practices for engineering at Community
- Mentor less senior engineers and provide them with the support structure they need to grow and thrive
- Learn from some of the best in our industry, both in the engineering landscape as well as the people management landscape
What you’ll bring
- 8+ years of experience in engineering and software development (as an individual contributor and a people manager or developer lead), preferably in the frontend or full-stack areas
- Experience with infrastructure such as AWS, Docker, RabbitMQ, PostgreSQL
- Experience with SaaS integrations: API, app-to-app
- Experience with people management: performance reviews, one-on-ones, career planning and coaching, individual growth, mentoring
- Experience leading teams: interfacing with product requirements and stakeholders, owning project delivery, project estimation, roadmap planning
- Excellent remote working skills: asynchronous communication, technical writing and documentation, remote culture
- Our backend is largely asynchronous, written in Elixir, running in Docker containers, on a distributed, scheduled platform on AWS. We work with PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Redis, Vault, and RabbitMQ among others.
Community is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We commit ourselves to inclusivity across race, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, body size, disability, age, and class – in everything we do.