We believe in having a transparent hiring process to provide a fair and inclusive experience to all our candidates.
Our team is dedicated to ensuring you have a great candidate experience, and that starts with outlining our hiring process from start to finish so you know what to expect every step of the way (no surprises!)—click here to learn more!
Are you passionate about delivering cloud solutions that are scalable and reliable? Do you have a track record of delivering high quality and useful systems in a fast-paced environment? Are your problem-solving skills second to none? Do you have a knack for teaching, mentoring others, and sharing your knowledge? You’re looking for a big challenge that holds big opportunities—and you’ll find that at Thinkific!
As our Senior DevOps Engineer at Thinkific, you’ll be working closely with our Product Management and Architecture teams to help translate business requirements and specifications into tangible, technical solutions. You’ll work with a team of engineers to help scale our infrastructure and systems architecture to effectively support our rapid growth. Additionally, you are expected to be up to date with the latest trends and technologies in software in order to ensure that best practices for quality software development and testing methodologies are followed. You’ll be a source of mentorship for our Engineering team in order to help create scalable and resilient environments ranging from development through production.
In this role, you will:
- Work with CI/CD tools (like SemaphoreCI) to ensure our infrastructure deployment process is fast and consistent.
- Help manage internal tools and processes for deploying and testing code.
- Champion the DevOps mindset through the entire engineering team though coaching and mentoring
- Work within an AWS scalable production environment hosting multiple services.
- Collaborate with team members to troubleshoot and identify bottlenecks in the engineering tools or build pipeline.
- Design and build new self-service and automation capabilities to provide world-class service to our Engineering teams
- Operate with speed and agility as you rapidly build and tear down specialized R&D and POC environments
To be successful in this role, you must:
- Have a minimum of 5+ years of experience in a production engineering or devops role
- Demonstrate hands-on experience coding and scripting using Shell, Ruby, Python, or others
- Have experience working with container technology such as Docker/Kubernetes
- Have previous experience working in a cloud-native architecture on a platform such as AWS
- Be proficient with web server technology such as NGINX, Unicorn, and others
- Have a successful history of adding and maintaining monitoring and observability tools
You might be the person we’re looking for if you:
- Are eager to learn and grow—you’ve likely attended post-secondary education, continue to seek opportunities to level up your skills or have equivalent professional experience in a similar role
- You understand DevOps isn’t one team’s responsibility but a mindset that can be nurtured and shared organization-wide.
- Are familiar with configuration management including Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Rubber, etc.
- Have an understanding of infrastructure as code (such as Terraform)
- Have previous experience with security tools and securing a cloud environment (like key management and user auditing)
Bonus points if you:
- Have worked for a SaaS product company
- Has experience with the unique challenges of scaling Rails Engines and Ruby on Rails applications.
- Have working experience with build tools such as Webpack and npm scripts
We’re about the results of online learning and the people along the way! Thinkific is a software platform that enables entrepreneurs to create, market, sell, and deliver their own online courses.
Our mission is no less than to revolutionize the way people learn and earn online by giving them the tools they need to turn their expertise into a sustainable business that impacts both them and their audience. We believe in meaningful, innovative work: we’re building and expanding an incredible product that empowers course creators around the globe while working collaboratively to learn and succeed together. Together, we’ve served over 50,000 course creators and more than 25 million students, and these numbers are growing each day!
Why we think you’ll like working with us:
- Be part of a team of incredibly talented, passionate, and driven people focused on building and innovating on a best-in-class learning platform
- Make an impact with your work—each person has an equal opportunity to contribute to our goals and every day, we get to see how Thinkific is empowering both course creators and their students
- Join one of the fastest-growing companies in Canada and find opportunities to grow in your own career—offering advancement opportunities for our team members is important to us!
- Contribute to Thinkific’s award-winning culture—we’re one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures and a certified Great Place to Work!
- We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision, and mental health coverage, and an Employee and Family Assistance Program to support the wellbeing of you and your family
- Whether you’re at our Vancouver HQ or working from home, you’ll have the opportunity to build meaningful relationships with Thinkers on your team and across the company through team-wide events, meet and greets with new team members, and regular social events
- Have fun with our team, even while we’re working remotely—join us for an online games session, virtual trivia and paint nights, at-home fitness challenges, or even an online coffee brewing demo!
- Get additional health and wellness support through a lifestyle or health spending account to put your dollars where you need it most, whether that’s subsidizing your gym membership, covering out-of-pocket expenses, or getting new gear
- Enjoy our open vacation policy and flexible work environment, because we know the importance of having a great work-life balance (and sometimes, you do your best work in slippers)
- Learn and Grow is one of our values and we take it seriously, providing opportunities through lunch and learns, training, workshops, mentorship, and our $1500 education allowance
- Grow your career AND your family at Thinkific—you’ll be taken care of with our parental leave top-ups as you add to your family
- Meet the many @dogsofthinkific (and yes, they’re as cute and cuddly as they look)
- Work with the hardware you’re most comfortable with, and upgrade or replace your system when you need to with our technology bonus
- Get set up for success, whether that’s at the office or at home. Whether you need a monitor, laptop stand, keyboard, mouse, or even a desk, we’ll work to ensure you have what you need to do your best work
- Be confident bringing your whole self to work—we’re proud to be an inclusive company with a diverse team and values grounded in ethics and equality
- Here at Thinkific, we know that the different perspectives on our team have led to amazing ideas, more innovation, and, ultimately, our success as a company. Our team welcomes applicants of all backgrounds, experiences, beliefs, identities, and statuses. Whoever you are—we can’t wait to meet you!