DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells the organization’s story.
To date, teachers at 83% of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Projects range from paper and markers for a poetry writing unit to violins for a school recital. More than 4 million “citizen philanthropists” have supported such projects, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 40 million students nationwide. In all, we’ve generated $1 billion for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose earned recognition as the #1 “Best Nonprofit to Work For” by the Nonprofit Times.
Teachers at more than 85% of all the public schools in the U.S. have created classroom project requests on DonorsChoose. The Advocacy and Public Partnerships Team works to establish deep and mutually beneficial relationships with school districts and state departments of education across the country. We’re a close-knit, collaborative group, working to ensure that district administrators and state leaders have the information they need to help teachers secure classroom resources through DonorsChoose.
The Senior External Relationships Associate, Advocacy & Public Partnerships will manage the structures and processes that drive our state relationships and scale our external partnerships, as follows:
- Support relationships with state department of education partners. Become an expert on their goals, how they work with school districts and teachers, and how they are spending their Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund (ESSER) dollars
- Help bring partnerships to life, ensuring you are meeting each state department of education’s goals
- Work with education department partners to plan future support of teachers, and renew their funding through DonorsChoose
- Identify opportunities for us to enhance existing relationships with the state departments of education that lead to revenue generation
- Research and understand state budgets and the process for accessing them
- Keep equity at the forefront of decision making, including an equity focus in pitches, emails and team discussions
- Deliver excellent operational outcomes for our state partners, such as funding logistics, media storytelling, and partner satisfaction
- Collaborate cross-functionally with the internal Customer Support, Finance, Marketing, and Procurement teams for smooth and streamlined project funding from state grants
- Analyze and present data and stories to illustrate partners’ impact
- Own and maintain partnership records in Salesforce, continuously updating key details
- Identify new opportunities to contribute to the team and organizational culture
- Work with our Salesforce administrator to support the development of documentation, tools, and systems to scalably manage our state partnership pipelines
- Work with the Brand & Communications team on producing state outreach/communication tools such as case studies and state leader videos
- Be a contributing member of the team culture
The position is right for you if:
- You’re committed to our mission to support public school teachers and students, and energized by sharing that passion with others. You’re eager to drive racial equity in education and have comfort speaking about race personally and/or professionally
- You enjoy making someone’s day. It could be exceeding their expectations on a business commitment or it might be something small, like sending them an article you read that made you think of them. You ask great questions and are a close-listener because you care what people think and you like to learn from them
- You’re a strategic planner and proven project manager who can zoom in and out in a matter of seconds. A robust Google doc, new project planning tools, and Salesforce tasks/reports make you want to jump for joy
- You’re highly technical and comfortable learning a new technology quickly (we use Looker, Simon Data, and the Salesforce, to name a few)
- You are self-motivated with a problem-solving, solution-focused philosophy. You find the “yes” in every situation, you work to provide an incredible experience to anyone you support, and you love finding the best way for all parties to achieve their objectives
- You enjoy working in a fast paced environment
- You have at least 3 years of work experience in an operational or relationship-building role
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this role is competitive with equivalent roles at other nonprofits of our size. In addition, we offer full-time staff 25 paid vacation days per year and 11 paid holidays, a rich employer-paid individual and family health plan, a matching 401(k) plan (up to 5% of base salary), annual professional development stipend, and casual and flexible work environment. To learn more about what it is like to work for DonorsChoose, visit our careers page.
Please submit your resume online and answer the application questions. A cover letter is optional and may be addressed to Jinan O’Connor, VP Advocacy & Public Partnerships.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this, we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose.org focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.