Every day, millions of people rely on WeTransfer to share their creative ideas.
Having made its name in the game of quick and simple file-sharing, WeTransfer has grown into an end-to-end suite of digital solutions with more than 80 million monthly active users in 190 countries. Beyond the WeTransfer.com platform, we have the storytelling platform WePresent, quick slide-making tool Paste, immersive sketching app Paper, and inspiration-capturing tool Collect. We design and deliver delightful experiences that continue to feel obvious and intuitive to millions of people—from our moms to your favorite artists. As a certified B-Corp, WeTransfer aims to be a sustainable and responsible tech company, balancing people, planet, and profit
So, the work we do matters. Come and be a part of it.
We’re looking for a midlevel and a senior engineer on this one!
Paper® is the immersive sketching app for capturing ideas anywhere. Over 30 million people have found their personal creative space in Paper—handwriting notes, drafting, diagramming, sketching, and giving form to their vision. Considered by many to be an essential app for the iPad, Paper is frequently featured in the App Store as well as in Apple retail store locations worldwide.
Paper was rewritten from the ground up in 2017 to take advantage of the latest technologies in the iOS ecosystem that had emerged since its inception in 2012. Once comprised primarily of C++ and Objective-C, Paper’s codebase is now Swift-first for almost all feature work. We use a custom unidirectional data flow architecture similar to Redux to manage app state and allow for a robust data-driven testing infrastructure. Paper’s physical, tactile interface is built with Apple’s SceneKit and driven by a custom spring-based animation system. Our patented inking engine remains written in C++ and uses OpenGL ES for responsive GPU-accelerated rendering.
In the fall of 2019, we launched the Paper Store to give users a better starting place than the blank page. A collection of curated creative prompts, workbooks, tutorials, and challenges, the Paper Store is built on AWS infrastructure and a fully Swift Vapor backend developed by the Paper team’s iOS engineers.
About the team
The Paper product team is small, friendly, and highly collaborative. Everyone has a voice in the design and direction of the product. Designers and engineers work closely together—early and often—and actively participate in sharing their expertise with each other and in making their reasoning clear. We know we are doing our best work when we feel excited for our customers to experience that thing we’re making. We value a healthy culture of critique that grows from a spirit of generosity and a shared commitment to craft.
Above all else we value open and honest communication and good teamwork to achieve a shared vision; someone who is a passionate learner, who isn’t afraid of new tools and technologies to build a great end-to-end customer experience, and loves to share their knowledge and experience.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll be responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of key features of Paper. Together with the team you’ll take your ideas from the back of the envelope to the App Store.
Qualities you’re looking for:
- Participating in the product development process with a small team of experienced developers, building a world class mobile application.
- Helping to design and define architecture, quality standards, and best practices.
- Collaborating with designers to bring features to life.
- Working with modern technologies such as: Swift 5, Vapor, React, TypeScript, and many more.
Qualities we’re looking for:
- At least 6 years software development experience
- A solid track record of shipping working on, or leading development on, high quality applications.
- Affinity for design and UX, and excellent UI implementation skills.
- Broad technical and creative interests (we’d love to see any side projects you’ve done).
- Self-directed, analytical, highly responsible and a team player.
- Strong background with functional programming.
- Strong Swift programming skills.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills (English).
Even better if you have:
- Experience working within unidirectional data flow architectures (e.g. Redux, ReSwift, etc.).
- Experience with 3D graphics concepts and APIs.
- C++ programming skills.
- 1 or more years leading or mentoring a development team.
WeTransfer is an equal opportunity employer and we pride ourselves on the diversity of our people. We welcome you, and everything that makes you—well, you. That includes your gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, or disability status.
A note on remote
Covid has changed the world. Just as much as it changed us. While we can’t wait until offices re-open, being at the office will not be mandatory in the future. This way, you get the best from both worlds. That move is still pretty new for us though, we are getting there, we are writing more, doing more async communication, and are now ready to take it to the next level.