Urbint is an AI-first SaaS company. Our mission is to make communities more resilient by identifying areas of high risk and preventing catastrophic loss for utilities and infrastructure operators across the country. We are a team of close-knit engineers and entrepreneurs who obsess over problem-solving, new technologies, and making a positive impact in our communities.
We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
We find meaning and excitement solving real world problems, and we hope you do, too. At Urbint, the machine learning team does not work on making consumers spend more or on maximizing clicks. We get to make an impact with our work by reducing carbon emissions and infrastructure risk, and even saving lives.
We are looking for a “product fluent” ML leader to join our high visibility, high impact team to help with this mission. The ML team collaborates with a diverse, broader-mission team to deliver value for our customers. Members of the Machine Learning team have the option to major/minor in areas from a large data science specialization spectrum: Technical Product Management, People Management, Data Story-Telling, Applied ML, ML Research, AutoML (Algo/Performance) and MLOps (DE, SRE). This is a great role for someone who enjoys variety and is also looking to expand their skill set in a structured fashion.
While research is an important aspect of machine learning, we are not an R&D only team. We deploy models, and are able to measure and quantify the real-world impact.
What You’ll Do
- Overall, you will be responsible for delivering business value at scale via Machine Learning.
- You will be “an orchestrator” – managing out and cross-functionally, building roadmaps, and providing leadership for squads, including:
- Working closely with ML, Product and Customer Success leadership to understand business goals and translate them into Machine Learning initiatives.
- Providing technical guidance for the team to formulate the research problem, design experiments and narrow down the solution space.
- Managing your team’s sprint goals, stories and deliverables.
- You will use your strong communication and organizational skills to help the team convey complex ideas & trade-off decisions to business stakeholders.
- You will be a significant contributor in building our products, specifically through creating frameworks, tools & operating models for:
- Discovery: Ensure the Data Science solutions clearly reflect and effectively solve the business problem in question.
- Delivery: Will be responsible for your team’s deliverables with an obsession towards customer value.
- Speed to value: developing tools that enable team productivity and accelerate deliverable quality.
- You will build and manage a team of high performing data scientists
- You will assist the VP, ML in offering strategic guidance in leveraging data science to shape product vision, business strategy and drive competitive moats or differentiators – with a lot of room for growth!
Who You Are
- 8+ years of progressive experience in data science/machine learning roles, having built successful models yourself, and leading/mentoring teams for 4 years+
- Expert level in coding, package management & architecture designs.
- Experience in Agile and comfortable with startup environments.
- Up to date with what’s under the hood of some of the advanced ML tools available.
- Most importantly, you’ll offer strong product thinking skills. E.g Able to define n versions of the ML task to solve the same business problem and be able to articulate the tradeoffs for the customer.
Nice to Have
- Experience building AutoML tools.
- Track record of creating excellent slack emojis and memes.
- Mission Driven – Some companies use AI to serve better digital ads and trade stocks, we seek to make our communities safer and more resilient
- We are 100% Distributed – work from almost anywhere
- Competitive compensation packages
- Your health and wellness matters to us, so we offer 100% employer-paid premium options and more…
- Physical Health: Monthly wellness reimbursement to assist with gym memberships and other related activities
- Home Office Reimbursement: Monthly allowance covering utilities (electric, internet) and related home office expenses
- Co-Working: Monthly allowance covering expenses for co-working space
- Professional Development: Generous annual allowance, supporting your growth
- Employee Meals: Weekly lunch allowance
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.