We believe in having a transparent hiring process to provide a fair and inclusive experience to all our candidates.
Our team is dedicated to ensuring you have a great candidate experience, and that starts with outlining our hiring process from start to finish so you know what to expect every step of the way (no surprises!)—click here to learn more!
Are you a people person who loves to empower team members to do their best work? Can you look at processes and find opportunities to iterate and improve on them? Does the idea of contributing to an amazing experience for team members in a fast-growing, innovative start up excite you? Are you looking to coach and mentor others by sharing the experiences you’ve had? You’re looking for a big challenge that holds big opportunities—and you’ll find that at Thinkific!
Thinkific is looking for a Senior People Operations Specialist to help us expand and grow our People Operations function. In this role, you’ll help to scale our company effectively by identifying pain points and opportunities, both at the individual and team level across our organization, and focus on solutions that enable us to build for the long term. By designing and implementing people programs, you’ll enable and empower our team members to do their best work while also helping to coach and mentor our People Operations and People Experience team members. As a close partner to our Research & Development (R&D) stakeholders in Engineering, Product Management, and Experience Design and Research, you’ll help these teams scale operations and processes effectively while working alongside your Talent Development and Talent Acquisition counterparts.
In this role, you will:
- Contribute to the overall strategy and direction of the People Operations function
- Lead engagement survey administration, implementation, and reporting
- Manage vendor relationships, negotiations, and contracts for various people and culture initiatives, tools, and services
- Assist in maintaining our internal documentation and proactively create documentation for new processes and programs
- Develop and launch new people programs with comprehensive project briefs, communication plans, stakeholder buy-in, rollout, and retrospectives
- Identify opportunities to automate People Operations tasks and tackle process inefficiencies and inconsistencies to build improved and more productive process that impacts the overall people experience
- Coordinate with the Talent Development and Finance teams to execute short and long term disability leaves, parental leaves and any injury records ensuring WorksafeBC compliance
- Coach and mentor other People Operations and People Experience team members, while bringing your expertise to R&D stakeholders and partners to help tackle business challenges
- Partner with the Legal and Finance teams to establish new business locations from international employment to contractual requirements for payroll and benefits
To be successful in this role, you likely:
- Possess 4+ years of experience in an HR, people operations, or similar role
- Have a natural tendency to be organized with outstanding attention to detail and ability to prioritize effectively
- Work well autonomously—you enjoy being given a challenge and finding your own ways to solve it
- Demonstrate excellent project management skills, with an ability to manage both small to large scale programs with tight timelines, and work closely with key stakeholders
- Handle confidential information with discretion—you’ve been trusted with this in the past
- Are fanatical about customer success—you put our people first and work to find solutions to create exceptional team member experiences with our People Operations team
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills—you’re just as comfortable sending off a carefully planned email to the team as you are having an unscheduled phone call with a software vendor
- Know how to work smarter, not harder— you’re resourceful and would rather invest time in finding tech-based solutions to automate workflows than to stick to how it’s always been done
- Are humble and introspective—we appreciate the ability to admit mistakes and learn from others
- Have a high technical aptitude and a strong understanding of the latest communication/productivity tools and systems (e.g. Google Suite, Slack, Asana, etc.)
You might be the person we’re looking for if you:
- Are eager to learn and grow—you’ve likely had some post-secondary education or have equivalent professional experience in a similar role, and you continue to seek opportunities to level up your skills
- Have previous experience working at a startup or tech company during a high growth stage
- Possess a firm understanding of Canadian HR laws, policies, and regulations
- Stay a few steps ahead of the curve at all times—you should be able to anticipate the needs of the company, executive team and teammates before they even know themselves!
- Have heard of Radical Candor and are on board with giving and receiving feedback in this way
- Aren’t afraid of change and ambiguity (”Adaptable” is most of our middle names) — you’ll jump in to help where needed and work to solve problems proactively
- Seek opportunities to brainstorm or collaborate with others to solve challenging problems
- Align with our core values and know the importance of an open and transparent culture
- Have coached and mentored others in the past, either formally or informally
- Know when to ask for help and have a team-oriented mentality—you feel comfortable working collaboratively and communicating effectively across departments
- Are analytical and data driven—you can use quantitative and qualitative reports and feedback to make informed decisions, identify themes, and create action plans
Bonus points if you:
- Hold a CHRP designation or other accredited HR certifications (they are nice, but not necessary)
- Have worked at a company that has scaled beyond 500 team members
We’re about the results of online learning and the people along the way! Thinkific is a software platform that enables entrepreneurs to create, market, sell, and deliver their own online courses.
Our mission is no less than to revolutionize the way people learn and earn online by giving them the tools they need to turn their expertise into a sustainable business that impacts both them and their audience. We believe in meaningful, innovative work: we’re building and expanding an incredible product that empowers course creators around the globe while working collaboratively to learn and succeed together. Together, we’ve served over 50,000 course creators and more than 25 million students, and these numbers are growing each day!
Why we think you’ll like working with us:
- Be part of a team of incredibly talented, passionate, and driven people focused on building and innovating on a best-in-class learning platform
- Make an impact with your work—each person has an equal opportunity to contribute to our goals and every day, we get to see how Thinkific is empowering both course creators and their students
- Join one of the fastest-growing companies in Canada and find opportunities to grow in your own career—offering advancement opportunities for our team members is important to us!
- Contribute to Thinkific’s award-winning culture—we’re one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures and a certified Great Place to Work!
- We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision, and mental health coverage, and an Employee and Family Assistance Program to support the wellbeing of you and your family
- Whether you’re at our Vancouver HQ or working from home, you’ll have the opportunity to build meaningful relationships with Thinkers on your team and across the company through team-wide events, meet and greets with new team members, and regular social events
- Have fun with our team, even while we’re working remotely—join us for an online games session, virtual trivia and paint nights, at-home fitness challenges, or even an online coffee brewing demo!
- Get additional health and wellness support through a lifestyle or health spending account to put your dollars where you need it most, whether that’s subsidizing your gym membership, covering out-of-pocket expenses, or getting new gear
- Enjoy our open vacation policy and flexible work environment, because we know the importance of having a great work-life balance (and sometimes, you do your best work in slippers)
- Learn and Grow is one of our values and we take it seriously, providing opportunities through lunch and learns, training, workshops, mentorship, and our $1500 education allowance
- Grow your career AND your family at Thinkific—you’ll be taken care of with our parental leave top-ups as you add to your family
- Meet the many @dogsofthinkific (and yes, they’re as cute and cuddly as they look)
- Work with the hardware you’re most comfortable with, and upgrade or replace your system when you need to with our technology bonus
- Get set up for success, whether that’s at the office or at home. Whether you need a monitor, laptop stand, keyboard, mouse, or even a desk, we’ll work to ensure you have what you need to do your best work
- Be confident bringing your whole self to work—we’re proud to be an inclusive company with a diverse team and values grounded in ethics and equality
- Here at Thinkific, we know that the different perspectives on our team have led to amazing ideas, more innovation, and, ultimately, our success as a company. Our team welcomes applicants of all backgrounds, experiences, beliefs, identities, and statuses. Whoever you are—we can’t wait to meet you!