About the role
This is your chance to join a fast-track insurtech venture on a mission to take the commercial insurance placement workflow into the 21st century and beyond.
You will be building a product used daily to place major insurance and reinsurance deals – deals that secure people against a wide range of risks, from cyber threats to natural disasters. These deals are multifaceted with a lot of information exchanged, multiple steps, and several exceptions to consider. You will help us wrangle the complexity to provide user-friendly, attractive, and efficient solutions to this under-served market.
As a key member of our lean product team, you will have input not only into design but strategy, sales, marketing, branding, and technology. You will have plenty of opportunity to learn, influence, and lead according to your goals and strengths. You also possess graphic design skills and are ready to roll up your sleeves and help our marketing team convey the right message to our target audience through your visual designs.
About Relay Platform (“Relay”)
Relay is rapidly altering the technology landscape in Commercial Insurance and Reinsurance markets with a growing focus on brokers and their ecosystems – increased volumes, higher commissions, and maximizing efficiency through digital connectivity.
Relay was founded in 2019 and is based in Toronto, Canada, with team members and operations across North America, and expanding activity internationally.
In 2020 alone, Relay joined the reputed Insurtech100 list, was listed as top 10 Insurtech by Plug and Play, and won Reaction’s Innovator of the Year award. It was a finalist at the Insurance Insider Honours, the Reactions North American Awards, the ACORD Challenge, and the Insurtech North pitch competition.
Relay is backed by top tier venture investors, including Fortune-500 American Family Insurance, NFP Ventures, Highline BETA, and Plug and Play Ventures.
About Our Users
Our users include:
- Brokers and other intermediaries who negotiate terms and advise underwriters
- Insurance underwriters who assess risk, give insurance quotes, and issue policies
- Reinsurance underwriters who provide insurance to insurance companies
- Insurance seekers (our customers’ customers) You will help streamline and design an end-to-end solution for all participants. You will help us do discovery and validation with underwriters and brokers. You will co-facilitate discovery sessions with existing and prospective customers, interview SMEs (active or former brokers or underwriters), test UI concepts, and collect feedback.
Our Company Culture
We promote a highly progressive environment to allow our teammates to reach their full potential. Our innovative culture is anchored in four pillars: inclusion, empathy, customer excellence, and agility.
We offer a “work from anywhere, anytime you prefer” policy, along with competitive compensation packages including benefits, stock options and commissions.
On-demand co-working locations are available when you prefer to get out of the house. We hold regular digital team-building events and will hold team gatherings in attractive locations (post-covid). We support our team’s aspirations, whether they overlap with our commercial objectives or less so. You will have a lot of opportunities to spread your wings, push yourself, experiment, and grow.
What you’ll do
Research and Strategy
- Conduct user research with our customers and industry partners to deeply understand the problem space (the why not just the how)Identify opportunities to wow our users and ideate ways for us to differentiate
- Research competitors, insurance concepts, and sample documents from our customers
Interaction and Visual Design
- Create wireframes, sketches, storyboards, process flows, user journey maps and other artefacts to effectively communicate interactions and facilitate conversations
- Test assumptions and validate solutions with customers through high-fidelity mocks and interactive prototypes
- Write copy (customer onboarding emails, default form inputs, etc)
- Turn functional UI solutions into sleek expressions of our brand (which you will also help us define), including Dashboards, Complex transactional workflows, forms, and tables, Onboarding strategies, and more
- Document research findings, opportunities, ideas, and “jobs to be done”
- Apply user centred design principles to our product and design process
- Develop a design system, streamline design-developer collaboration, and work closely with developers to translate designs into practical, on-time implementations
- Brief development team on business domain and user research findings
- Stimulate creativity and engagement within the team to elicit innovative solutions
What we look for
- 3+ years in User Experience Design (other formative experience a plus)
- Particular expertise in at least 2 of: user research, complex interaction design, visual design
- User-centered design advocate who thrives on deeply understanding users
- Graphic design skills with experience supporting marketing deliverables through visual arts
- Good listener experienced in facilitating tough conversations, building relationships, giving and receiving feedback, and collaborating with others
- Fast learner with interest in complex subjects, who can quickly pick up (re)insurance lingo and technical concepts
- Experience with designing modular workflows, complex form solutions, or insurance products would be a plus
- Experience in B2B customer research is a plus; experience with continuous discovery a plus
- Experience working with a small team towards ambitious product development milestones, with strong appreciation of business needs
- A drive to get better every day, demonstrated by evident career progression and explorations
- Passionate about honing your craft during and outside of work with high initiative to get things done
- Figma or similar; experience designing or using Design Systems a plus
We value diversity
Relay’s dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in all of our work and interactions. Diversity is more than a commitment to us – it is the foundation of what we do. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion is embedded in the daily fabric of everything we do, and in our lives here at Relay. We recognize, appreciate and celebrate Diversity of thought, experience, style and choice.
We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, opinion, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
We also firmly believe that diverse teams build better companies and better products. We encourage applications from qualified candidates from all backgrounds, including candidates of colour, women, queer candidates, candidates with family caregiving responsibilities, immigrant candidates, transgender candidates, and candidates with disabilities. We welcome applications from candidates who took time to look after their family.
- Product Design
- User Experience (UX)
- User Research
- User Interface Design
- Interaction Design
- Visual Graphics Design