Who we are:
Pixel Union and Out of the Sandbox are leading designers of premium themes and apps for the Shopify ecommerce platform. We’re focused on helping our merchants — entrepreneurs, innovators, brands, and businesses large and small — succeed by providing them with the world’s best digital products, backed by exceptional customer support.
We are a team of 90+ across all departments, with headquarters in Victoria, BC, and remote team members distributed across Canada and beyond.
About the role:
As Product Designer for Pixel Union Apps, you’ll help us create new products and improve existing products that solve key problems for Shopify merchants – products that are accessible, intuitive, and visually appealing.
Reporting to the Apps General Manager, you’ll work collaboratively with our product manager, developers, support specialists, and product marketers. You’ll develop deep knowledge of the Shopify merchant experience, tap into the rapidly-evolving Shopify App Marketplace, and leverage this knowledge to design novel solutions. You’ll use your experience empirically and iteratively to develop products – identifying the winning ideas and leaning into the successes while maintaining a high standard for quality along the way.
Success in the role is not just about creating outstanding work individually, it’s about collaborating effectively with others to produce a superior product that fulfills unmet needs and empowers our users. You’ll be part of a close team that sees strong communication, exploration, and collaboration as fundamental to its success.
You’ll be responsible for…
- Leading design initiatives; creating sketches, wireframes, mockups, and interactive prototypes as appropriate, including app administrative interfaces and storefront elements.
- Performing continuous discovery with users to identify opportunities, carrying out research and testing to understand user needs & behaviour, designing potential solutions based on results.
- Mentoring and supporting others by advocating for UX best practices, accessibility, and design standards.
- Reviewing the design of ongoing development, providing feedback and guidance to the development team to help achieve our high standards for quality
- Evaluating and identifying opportunities for improvement in how we approach design in Apps: our methods, tools, and design directions in our products themselves
- Utilizing your knowledge of opportunities for improvement and implementing new systems for improving our design processes
- An insatiable curiosity to deeply understand users and how they do their work: what’s working well for them, what’s not, and where the opportunities may lie
- An excitement about continuously updating designs and experience, or the desire to leverage tools that evaluate the impact of design decisions
- An eye for novel solutions to challenging user problems or unmet needs
- A holistic approach towards UX design, considering the end-to-end user lifecycle with our products
- A drive to stay up-to-date with the latest developments in a rapidly-evolving Shopify ecosystem, highlighting trends and identifying the opportunities
- Experience designing in a collaborative setting, gathering input and feedback from a diverse set of sources and helping everyone feel included in the process
- Strong communication skills, able to explain the reasoning behind designing decisions, educating others in the process
- Fluency with established modern design tools such as Figma or Sketch, leveraging them to optimize integration points with development
- Knowledge and experience with a diverse set of UX design frameworks and models, knowing when they should be applied
- Detail-orientation and a high standard for quality in the finished product with a good understanding of color science and combinations
- Experience designing effectively in a remote environment
- Understanding of what it looks like to translate designs into code for the web (HTML/CSS/Github); able to anticipate common challenges that can occur in the process
If you have these skills, that’s a huge plus!
- Experience designing for ecommerce solutions, especially Shopify
- Interviewing and testing designs with users
- Facilitating collaborative design exercises, leveraging the knowledge of a diverse set of stakeholders
- Experience using a design system or methodology to improve workflow speed and efficiency, such as Shopify Polaris
- Motion graphic and animation design
- Familiarity with designing to meet accessibility and usability requirements
Please include a cover letter and portfolio with your application – we’d love to better understand your background and experiences. We value diverse perspectives and believe that skills are transferable!
We are a company built on creativity, teamwork, and employee well-being. We trust our team members and encourage them to design their work schedules so that they can get the most out of their day. We value challenging ourselves and others to ask questions that uncover better solutions for the future, and we get joy from being around fun, communication-focused folks who want to make a difference at their work!
Some of our perks include:
- Flexible work schedule and remote-friendly culture and systems
- Providing company hardware and software
- Competitive base salary
- Opportunity for growth as the company grows
- Exposure and learning across teams and services
- Health benefits and RRSP matching
- Company-sponsored wellness allowance
- Generous vacation policy
We bring passion and energy to our work, and believe that work should be rewarding, interesting, and come at a sustainable pace. Our team members can be found across Canada, the U.S. and the UK, and are well-adapted to working from home and the remote lifestyle.
Please note that we will be filling this position within Canada. We look forward to hearing from you!
We thank all who show interest. Only those shortlisted will be contacted.