About the team
- Product & engineering currently has 24 people organized into four empowered product teams. This year the group will grow by 40%.
- We are forming a new ‘Audiences’ team whose mission is to ensure customers can easily manage their users, including targeting and segmentation rules. With these rules, customers define which experiences are shown to who and when. Since Appcues’ experiences are shown to 100s of millions of users, this team will have a massive impact.
- Each cross-functional team includes a designer, tech lead, engineers, QA, and a seasoned engineering manager. We practice agile development with two-week iterations and incrementally develop, test, and release stories behind feature flags.
About the role
- You will advance your team’s mission by researching, defining, and prioritizing problems to solve. In a written problem brief, you will narrow focus to the root of the problem, who we are solving it for, and why it is compelling.
- For any problem brief, you will collaborate with your team’s tech lead and designer to discover solutions and assess the four main risks. Our goal is to find solutions that are simple, lovable, and complete. To ensure success, you’ll define & identify metrics, baselines and measure results over time.
- On a typical day, you may meet with customers, write a problem brief, discover a solution, plan a beta program, collaborate on release messaging, share context with other stakeholders, and influence our company strategy.
- You will regularly talk to customers without an agenda, and join our CX/ Sales teams, to uncover pain points. You will translate those pain points into insights and hypotheses for how we can improve our product and business.
- You will partner with your designer/researcher in structured interviews and usability tests to validate our problems or proposed solutions.
- You will deeply understand the market, competition, emerging trends, and where the business opportunities lie. You know market research is vital to develop differentiated solutions and competitive moats.
- You’ll work with our Product Marketing, Sales, and Customer Experience teams to understand their needs and to ensure our customer-facing teams support the product adoption and revenue results we expect.
- You will report directly to our VP of product and engineering, Chris Brookins. Your peers on Chris’ team include the other product managers, engineering managers, and our design lead.
- You can work between 9-5 Eastern Time. We are a 100% remote-1st company so you can work from anywhere in North or South America.
- You have 4-6 years of product management experience with SaaS products and at least two years doing so for B2B customers.
- You are a natural collaborator that inspires and influences others to believe in the value of an idea. You actively listen to colleagues and leverage their expertise to understand their concerns and objectives.
- You seek facts and objective observation and don’t relay personal preferences. You avoid theoretical arguments or battles of opinion and strive to build experiments to prove theories with data. By listening to customers, asking questions, and reviewing metrics, you always try to learn the truth.
- You are passionate about partnering with design and engineering to multiply their efforts and impact.
- You enjoy working at different levels and rolling up your sleeves. You are equally comfortable being in the weeds on a project detail or sharing the context of how a feature fits into the broader market or company vision.
- You naturally seek alignment with company and product strategy and ensure consistency and cohesion throughout the product.
- You are an empathetic and outstanding communicator, both verbally and in writing. You’re able to take complex subjects, synthesize learnings and trade-offs, and succinctly communicate them to align people to a common goal.
- You have a lean mindset, focusing on one concrete problem at a time. You avoid unnecessary constraints or requirements and prefer to keep things simple, start small, learn and iterate.
- You have a technical background. While you don’t need to be an engineer, you understand how the web works and are comfortable with APIs and data models.
- You’ve had experience working with cross-functional product teams, ideally in a remote, agile environment.
- You are thoughtful, organized, disciplined, and get things done. You don’t call the project finished until you have achieved successful outcomes & metrics.
- Above all, you have a love for the craft of building great products and welcome an environment where you can do quality work and have fun along the way!