A Y Combinator/Imagine K12 company, ClassDojo’s long-term goal is to give every child on Earth an education they love. The ClassDojo app is the #1 communication app for micro-communities of K-8 teachers, children and families globally; they use it to stay connected, sharing what’s happening through the school day through photos, videos, messages, and activities. The company is now helping kids get learning experiences they love, beyond school. Today, ClassDojo is used by 95% of pre K-8 schools in the US, as well as in a further 180 countries.
This role is a critical hire. You’ll be the first product marketing manager on the team and will play a huge role in defining the function and driving tons of impact. You’ll be responsible for figuring out how to best market our new and existing products so that we can grow ClassDojo to our next major milestone: reach 100 million+ active families and tens of millions in revenue while deepening our brand love.
What you’ll do:
As our senior product marketing lead, you’ll help us grow ClassDojo to be the world’s most widely-used pre-K-8 product and the world’s most-loved consumer education brand for kids by building a deep understanding of our market, creating our positioning, and bringing that to life through excellent storytelling and marketing skills. You’ll also have a lot of influence to work with our product teams to shape the future of education.
You’ll work with a team of product managers, data scientists, growth marketers, and other cross-functional partners to hit our 10x user and revenue growth goals.
If you’re an experienced product marketer and excited to roll up your sleeves to help us achieve our aggressive goals, we’d like to hear from you.
What you’ll bring:
- Product Marketing Leadership: You have experience launching products successfully to millions of users. You can craft go-to-market plans with well-defined segmentation, targeting, positioning, messaging, and channel mix strategies. You can create product feature adoption plans for existing products and execute them by working with creative, growth marketing, and product teams.
- User Centricity: You know how to drive market research projects to gain consumer insights and easily integrate the findings into marketing and product plans. You know that marketing’s first rule is we’re not our customers, and we need to study and learn their behaviors, needs, and motivations to build world-class customer experiences, and you know exactly how to do that.
- Storytelling Skills: You have excellent storytelling skills. You can look at any product page, advertising campaign, email marketing campaign and think of ten ways to improve it. You can take standard product specs and easily turn them into clear, compelling product messaging that will attract customers. You’ve demonstrated storytelling skills many times in your career with successful product and marketing campaign launches.
- Structured Problem Solving Skills: You know how to work your way through complex problems. You can easily break a problem down into components, ask the right questions, and build a robust framework around the problem before diving into the solutions.
- Intellectual Curiosity: You are highly curious about start-ups, marketing, and technology. You constantly try to improve your knowledge and your craft. You always dig deeper and ask great questions to learn more about our users, our business, and our products.
What you’ll need:
- 6+ years of product marketing experience at a consumer brand.
- Excellent storytelling skills – you can create a clear, compelling story effortlessly.
- Experience with copywriting or working with copywriters.
- Experience driving market research and customer insight projects.
- Experience with segmentation, targeting and positioning.
- Experience successfully bringing new products to market.
- Experience driving integrated marketing campaigns that bring our positioning strategy to life and drive product adoption.
- Experience with designing and executing A/B testing.
- Deep understanding of customers and ability to turn insights into actionable experiments.
- Strong product intuition and business judgment, strong thought partner for head of marketing and other leaders in the org.
- Structured problem-solving ability.
- Works well in resource-constrained environments.
- Moves faster than is comfortable, an instigator.
- Strong follow-through.
- Experience with building GTM plans for international growth
ClassDojo’s mission is to bring communities together and help them create an education experience their children love. Founded in 2011 (ImagineK12 / Y Combinator) and based in San Francisco, California, ClassDojo started as a communication app: a simple way for teachers, families, and children to share the magic of the school day through photos, videos, and messages. It creates a close-knit classroom community and exciting, inspiring, and creative classrooms and homes for kids. We’re one of the fastest-growing education companies of all time, used and loved by tens of millions of teachers, families, and children in 90% of K-8 schools in the US and 180 other countries.
You can read more about our vision to change education from the ground up here: https://medium.com/@samchaudhary/https-medium-com-samchaudhary-how-to-change-education-from-the-ground-up-f82b8f3e4b95.
We believe focused, talented, non-hierarchical teams can achieve a surprising amount: https://blog.ycombinator.com/its-surprising-how-much-small-teams-can-get-done-sam-chaudhary-of-classdojo/. Our team is made up of engineers, designers, and educators from around the world, with deep backgrounds in education, as well as from leading consumer internet organizations like Instagram, Netflix, Dropbox, Uber, Y Combinator and more. We’re building a company that will transform education and one that is the kind of place we’ve all always wanted to work. We believe you’ll do the best work of your life here.
ClassDojo’s vision is to give every child on Earth an education they love. We strongly feel the best way to do this is to work with people from diverse backgrounds that truly reflect the world. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are happy to accommodate any disabilities or special needs. We hire both locally in San Francisco and distributed teammates around the world.
If you’re excited about having an impact on education at a massive scale, we’d love to hear from you.