TXI is looking for a Product & UX Designer who grounds innovation in humanity.
Building the right thing is often harder than building it right. More than 80% of digital innovations fail because they are not solving the real user need. We take a pragmatic approach to innovation by deploying integrated teams to uncover insights from users and turn them into compelling digital solutions. As a boutique strategy and product innovation firm, our capabilities include product discovery, delivery, and adoption. As Senior Product & UX Designer, you have the opportunity to bring a passion for learning and improving to our clients: digging into their organizations, reframing their problem statements, and spending time with their users. This ensures we’re pushing our clients forward while designing valuable things people actually use.
Design at TXI
Design matters to us. Design manifests possibility and gives us a glimpse of our future. It provides us a sense of purpose and guides our intent. Design is never about just an idea. It requires an understanding of its audience. Design is strategic. It generates value by driving deliverables, outcomes, and recommendations. Design is bigger than a single skill set or discipline.
We design for resonance: to create change, and to make meaning. We aim to design product and service experiences that we are proud of—in a consistent and repeatable way. While there’s much more behind these five design principles, we believe they hold us accountable to each other, our clients, their users, and our own work:
What We’re Looking For
We’re looking for a Senior Designer, with a long-standing career in digital experiences, to bring strategic and creative vision to solving client challenges and user needs. Some designers fall in love with the solution, you fall in love with the problem. You’re not just interested in creating a beautiful design, you also possess a deep desire to ensure it exceeds client and user expectations. You’re flexible and earnest in your approach and understand the path to creating exceptional products is shaped by research, strategy, and technology. This is your chance to work with world-class humans, grow and share your skills, and create a lasting impact.
Don’t hesitate if you don’t have 100% of the specifics listed. We have a preference for folks with previous people management experience, but if you’re a strong digital product designer and have had leadership opportunities, we want to hear from you. TXI encourages everyone interested in a role to apply.
As a Senior Product & UX Designer, we expect you to:
- Produce high-quality UI and product designs. Everything you make should be intentional, expressive, and visually precise.
- Possess a solid understanding of interaction design principles with knowledge and experience in wireframing and prototyping.
- See the forest and the trees. Designing great products is about being equally concerned with the big strategic objectives and the micro-interactions of the experience.
- Understand the fundamentals of visual design and brand strategy—knowledge and experience in design systems, branding, typography, and color theory.
- Lead design and usability testing with users. Observational research, conversational inquiry, and user testing are just a few of the methods you use to help clients develop empathy and make informed decisions.
- Get tangible quickly. When in doubt, you create something for others to react and respond to.
- Have experience in key industry tools, including Figma.
- Demonstrate empathy for our clients’ business through direct engagement and secondary research.
- Clearly articulate and present your work (and thinking) to colleagues and clients.
As a teammate, we expect you to:
- Work collaboratively on cross-functional teams of developers, designers, and business analysts—bridging capabilities and understanding between disciplines.
- Be curious and humble—eager to learn from every one, no matter their title or role.
- Provide critical thinking and constructive feedback for improving the work while supporting your peers’ growth and development.
- Have a strong command of design thinking and an understanding of how to design within the agile software development methodology: the ability to understand customer-centric product requirements as features, epics, and user stories
- Embrace the rapid, adaptive nature of the work and be comfortable with ambiguity.
What your days will look like, what success looks like
Proper expectations setting has a big impact on your progressional growth. To set expectations for what you’ll experience as a Product / UX Designer, here is some of what you can expect in your first two years:
Within 1 month, you will
//Start the company onboarding process, learning more about our company’s culture, values, history, and commitments to our clients
//Gain an understanding of our integrated design + development process, tooling and frameworks, and project approach
//Shadow client teams to learn from our integrated squad(s) of designers, engineers, and delivery leads
//Learn more about the client experience, from product discovery through delivery and into maintenance
//Go deeper into the employee experience of working at TXI, meeting with key leaders across the company, and building relationships with the broader team
Within 3 months, you will
//Complete your cohort onboarding process with other new hires like you!
//Start your first project and begin relationships with designers, engineers, and delivery leads on your team as well as across the broader company
//Engage your first client, learning more about their business, unique challenges, and growth opportunities
//Have a manager identified and receive your first quarterly feedback
// Attend your first company All Hands with the rest of the organization
Within 6 months, you will
//See a high-impact project through—ideally from start to finish. You will participate in client-facing retrospectives along the way to look for opportunities to evolve and improve
//Complete a review with your manager
//Advance the discipline of Product Design at TXI—you’ll set a good example with your teams and share what you’ve learned with others
//Learn new techniques to support further growth and develop your own skills
Within 1 year, you will
//Attend a company retreat to get to know all of the employees outside of the office setting
//Potentially start with a second client or re-engage with your first client on a new product or phase of work, deepening your relationships
After 2 years, you will
//Have the opportunity to become an owner in the business
//Look back proudly to the project and organizational changes you’ve been a part of—creating an impact on how we do business
Some reasons why you might like working with us
We have been recognized for both our internal employee experience and delivering a trusted client experience. At TXI, we are very intentional about the way we work and how we support both our team and our clients.
1. We focus on Product Innovation: helping initially to envision new product concepts for our clients. We are core contributors to shaping the work we do and the problems we’re working to solve. In addition to ideation, we’re trusted to bring these new concepts to market. We build the right thing (design thinking and product discovery) and build the thing right (agile mindset and iterative approach).
2. We care about DEIB
(diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging). To deliver the best solutions, we need as many bright and diverse minds in the room as possible, and we need to be able to learn from them once they’re there. That’s why we’re working to create an environment comfortable and inclusive for everyone. Learn more about our DEIB learnings, roadmap, and history.
3. We work in a variety of industries, encouraging our team members to explore new domains, solve different kinds of problems, and adopt new technologies. There is no getting bored in our portfolio; you’ll work across healthcare, edtech, manufacturing, and nonprofits (just to name a few!) and build web, mobile, and IoT solutions.
4. We work in integrated teams (and avoid staff augmentation). At TXI, we seek to bring all of the good ideas to the table so you learn from the talented teammates you regularly pair with. Design, engineering and delivery regularly collaborate—so we’re all listening to the same users.
5. We are intentional about supporting each individual’s growth
. “Challenge and support each other” is a core value of the company and we take that mission seriously. That’s why every employee has a personal learning and development budget, everyone has a bi-weekly conversation with their manager about their progress, and our CEO created the Sticky Note Game
to encourage each person’s path at TXI.
6. We believe wellness and sustainable pace deliver the best outcomes. We commit to be dedicated partners to our clients for a sustainable 35 hours per week. We don’t require regular travel or client on-site time. Our team members have flexible schedules with a hybrid (co-located or remote) working environment and discretionary time off because we respect everyone has a life outside of work.
7. We value transparency and open discussion
. You will have a front-line view of the company’s performance, risks and issues, finances and budgets. With unique tools and facilitation techniques
, we also regularly connect and discuss topics as a company to guide our path forward.
8. We build products that matter. We advance the causes and goals of our partners and consistently deliver outcomes and impact for them. See some examples below.
What We Make
For over two decades, we’ve partnered with clients across industries to research, design, and develop custom web and mobile applications that make a meaningful impact. These impacts include:
<> Empowering nonprofits with real-time insight into progress and potential for donor impact through transformative fundraising software
<> Designing a digital experience to support LGBTQ+ 14-17-year-old youths as they face societal and personal bias with their orientation prior to coming out, driven by evidence-based treatment and therapy plans.
<> Driving accountability and motivation for patients recovering from spinal surgery through integrated mobile app and wearable device on the patient’s lower back <>Improving prediction of patient enrollment in global clinical trials for life-saving drugs through the integration of advanced analytics and digital innovation
<> Creating a new mobile app to inspire employees to love where they work by delivering meaningful savings and recognition in their workplace, while also amplifying merchant partner reach across the US
But the work is just part of what makes TXI a rewarding place to be. We support each others’ interests—whether volunteering with AIGA, organizing a UX Strategy Meetup, speaking at industry events, or learning new techniques and technologies. If there’s something you’re passionate about, we want you to pursue it so you can teach it to the rest of us. Our First Friday Design Talks, company Lunch & Learns, and weekly Design Practice Meetings are just some of the ways we create space for sharing, learning, and professional development.
What We Offer
We believe in equitable pay. The salary range for this role is $110-160k. In addition to our base compensation, we offer a quarterly bonus based on company performance and the following benefits, intended to take care of you (and the people you care about):
-Quality health insurance-Paid parental leave policy (equal for all TXI parents) and discretionary paid time off
-401k plan, including employer matching
-The option to work fully remote with minimal client or onsite client work
-Company retreats and All Hands days
– A chance to connect with each other in person and outside of the office
-Benefits for continuing education, donation matching, renewable energy switching
US-friendly hours are strongly preferred. We have a hybrid setup at TXI – with both a home office in Chicago and the opportunity for any of our team members (currently in the US, Canada, and Europe) to work distributed, either from home or one of the coworking spaces in our network. We communicate and collaborate effectively in a remote environment with tools like Miro, Notion, Slack, and Zoom. While we encourage asynchronous communication, we often work in pairs or in collaboration sessions, so it is important to have some core hours of overlap with our clients and fellow team members. Regardless of where you are living and working, we will get together as a company several times a year to help build connections and foster relationships in our team.
What to expect next
If we move forward, here’s the rest of the process that we’ll use to learn together if this is an amazing fit for you:
Initial Interview: After connecting with our recruiting team, you’ll meet the hiring lead over Zoom and cover some TXI basics, then focus the conversation on questions about your past work and how it relates to what you’d be doing at TXI. This stage is a 2-call process and should take no more than 90 min total (unless you want to dig in, chat more and spend some extra time learning about us!).
Virtual Case Study Session: The portfolio presentation is a chance for us to get to know your process and your design experiences. You’ll have 45-60 minutes to talk about one or two specific projects you’ve worked on. An ideal project is one that best illustrates your design capabilities. Ideally, we’d like to see how your experience is relevant to the challenges you would face at TXI. This stage should take no more than 90 minutes total and we’ll both have a clear sense of how we work together by the end.
Final All Team interview: At this stage, we’re incredibly excited about your potential with TXI. Get to know more of the team you’d be working with over a 4 hour session. You’ll find time with 6-8 of your potential integrated team members, where we will learn more about your collaboration skills through an exercise, gauge your consultative skills, and determine if our values both align. You will also spend time with some of our leadership team talking about how TXI can support you on your personal journey.
Offer/Decision within 24-48 hours: You’ve made it! You successfully completed the process and spent about 6-7 hours learning about us, while sharing more about yourself. Once we get to this stage, we like to move fast. We are committed to debriefing within 24 hrs. and presenting a final decision within 48 hrs. (or less!) of your final interview day. If we choose to move forward, our team will collaborate with you to ensure that you have all the information you need to make the right decision for you and your career!
We take equality seriously.
TXI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal opportunity employment without regard to race, religion, color, gender (including gender identity, change of sex, and transgender status), sexual orientation, age, disability, ancestry, national origin, military or veteran status, marital status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law