Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
Code for America is looking for a Sr. Program Manager of Best Practices to support our Safety Net Portfolio. You will be surfacing and sharing best practices nationally to improve how government effectively delivers services. This role reports to the Director of Program Operations.
About the Role:
Code for America (CfA) works at the intersection of technology and government, which we believe are the two biggest levers for improving people’s lives at scale. We’ve helped hundreds of government teams — from city departments to federal agencies — take a human-centered, iterative and data-driven approach to better understand and address the needs of the people they serve. We support governments to discover barriers that prevent systems from working, then help design and deliver adaptive products and services that directly tackle them. In the process, we disrupt the status quo by openly sharing our products, data and insights — promoting widespread adoption and informing more equitable and effective policy and legislation.
Over 46 million people across the US live in poverty, relying on the social safety net — a web of more than 80 public benefit programs — for food, shelter and medical care. CfA partners with state governments to address the critical barriers individuals and families face enrolling in, using and retaining these benefits.
In this position you will:
- Develop resources, training curriculum content for government agencies and relevant stakeholder to operationalize proven practices that support our vision of a human-centered safety net and scorecard framework
- Write toolkits and turnkey resources on digital outreach, user-centered research and design, equity and access, and data instrumentation
- Support efforts to publish methodology on user-centered research and design, equity and access, and data collection and instrumentation
- Support the PDs of Strategic Initiatives and Operations to develop and publish materials on our process and learnings from government partnerships.
- Support the APD of Policy & Practices to develop and publish written materials that influence permanent changes to safety-net benefits.
- Develop presentations of our learnings and approaches for conferences, non-government partners, and funders
- Interview external stakeholders, subject matter experts, and other partners to inform resource development
- Contribute to and support the growth of an internal knowledge base that organizes all of our learnings across the Safety Net Portfolio
- Publish external resources for governments to use in transforming their digital service delivery.
- Coordinate on knowledge management and sharing activities across other programs at Code for America like the Network Team and Delivery Driven Government
- 5+ years experience, with 2+ working in content strategy, content design, knowledge management, business administration, information systems, and/or library sciences.
- Proven track record of developing and organizing a team’s frameworks, intellectual property, and/or best practices, to support both internal and external uses of such expertise.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team in a fast-paced agile environment across multiple organizations and manage competing priorities.
- A deep passion for our mission of making government services better for people who need them.
- A structured thinker with strong analytical writing and communication skills.
It’s a bonus points if you/have:
- Have a passion for thought leadership, reach and relevance, and enablement.
- Have experience working with public servants, government agencies, and/or non-profit organizations, especially in the govtech/civtech space.
- Thrive in ambiguity as an entrepreneurial self-starter with excitement for working on difficult, under-defined challenges. This is an opportunity to build something new. To do so requires proactive creativity and comfort with not knowing exactly what comes next, and the ability to embody Code for America’s values: “Listen First, Include Those Who’ve Been Excluded, and Act with Intention”
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, we extend this to our hiring process. This role at this level is ranged from ($102,000 – $138,000) in yearly salary. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires. That target for this role is $115,500. These ranges and the target are for the San Francisco/ Bay Area market and subject to adjustment for cost of living differentials. The largest cost of living adjustment is 15%.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.