GitHub is looking for a talented Senior Software Engineer to join our Deploy team.
This team is responsible for how code is safely and reliably delivered to production at GitHub. We enable a high-performing, ship-to-learn organization by providing our engineering teams with the capability to ship changes frequently and confidently. On this team, you’ll collaborate across functions and across teams to deliver the best possible developer experience for all engineers here at GitHub.
The team and its parent Development Lifecycle department are highly distributed across the globe and span a variety of diverse backgrounds. We recognize the value this diversity brings to our teams and our products, so creating and maintaining an environment where every individual feels safe to bring their unique perspective to the challenges we’re solving is important to us.
- Actively develop and maintain our deployment infrastructure with a product mindset
- Build tools and systems that empathetically and pragmatically meet real operability needs of GitHub developers
- Develop and maintain scalable infrastructure
- Use data to understand the availability, reliability, and sustainability of our infrastructure
- Work closely with other teams from around the organization
- Own and advocate for the health and quality of the systems that the team builds, including participating in on-call rotations and responding to incidents as necessary
- Great communication skills and a willingness to pair program, mob on tough bugs, brainstorm in public, and otherwise enthusiastically engage with your teammates in group problem solving
- Experience with developing software in languages such as Go, Ruby, Python, and Bash. We often use Ruby and Go.
- Experience with running, operating, and maintaining production systems
- Experience building infrastructure automation
- Experience working with the Linux operating system
- Experience with software design
- Experience working on a fully remote team
- Experience building developer tooling, including working directly with developer “customers” to design and create optimal user experiences
- Experience with Kubernetes or other container orchestration systems
- Experience using Ansible, Argo CD, Harness, Nomad, Spinnaker, Terraform, or other tools to enable teams to deploy applications and infrastructure
- An orientation towards product development and an emphasis on user experience
- Technical writing skills
- Experience building highly available systems at scale
- Experience with capacity planning for large, multi-tier web systems
- Interest in or experience with systems languages, particularly Go
You may be an excellent fit even if you don’t meet all of these qualifications. We look forward to meeting you and hearing about your unique skills and experiences.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed – Trust by Default – Ship to Learn – Own the Outcome – Growth Mindset – Global Product, Global Team – Anything is Possible – Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We’ve designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We’ve designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we’ve built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there’s any way we can make the interview process better for you; we’re happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.