Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
We are seeking a Senior Solutions Engineer to join our Safety Net team and help us build out our Insight & Impact program. Insight & Impact is working to expand the organization’s knowledge and impact to remove barriers to social safety net benefits, with an emphasis on SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) and similar state-administered federal programs.
About the Role:
The Senior Solutions Engineer will play a critical role in our effort to explore new opportunities and leverage the organization’s existing learnings and best practices. In this role you will be responsible for building and managing government relationships, investigating and diagnosing their service delivery capabilities, and advising them on technical solutions and best practices that enable them to build better government services for vulnerable communities.
Example projects include:
- Working with multiple government agencies to help them deliver P-EBT (Pandemic Electronic Benefits Transfer) benefits to school children in need.
- Working with state partners to investigate, diagnose and propose improvements to their SNAP application and self-service portals.
- Creating state-specific proposals for integrating personalized text messaging into the SNAP application and renewal journeys to increase approval rates and decrease program churn.
You will work closely with the team’s service designer, data scientist and qualitative researcher and serve as a technical thought partner to the Senior Program Manager, evaluating the feasibility of new opportunities.
This role may be perfect for you if you have the technical skills to tackle engineering problems, the social skills to face human-factors problems, and the judgment to differentiate between the two. The ability to communicate complex technical concepts in straightforward language to non-technical audiences will be critical to your success.
You’ll be an early member of our Solutions Engineering team at Code for America, helping us define the contours of the role over time.
This position is based in San Francisco or remote, will include up to 40% travel (post-covid), and will report to the Director of Solutions Engineering.
In this position you will:
- Work closely with cross-functional government partners to clarify problems and understand system constraints, and offer low touch feasible and high-value technical solutions that consider the needs of all stakeholders
- Build and maintain relationships and develop technical champions within government and partner organizations
- Provide technical perspectives and expertise in service of improved safety net services for government agencies, organizational stakeholders, and other key audiences
- Estimate project scope and rough project plans for government initiatives
- Assist in documenting and communicating technical best practices and in the framing of government RFPs
- Develop training plans and documents to empower government agencies to improve and modernize the delivery of safety net services
- Demonstrate low or no-code software solutions to government partners
- At least 7 years of experience as a Software Engineer, Solutions Engineer, or Solutions Architect with experience leading projects and interacting with customers
- Recent back-end development, database, data-science and/or devops experience
- At least 4 years of experience coding backend systems and data infrastructure in an industry-standard language (Python, Ruby, Java, Scala, Kotlin, etc)
- Client facing development experience that involves working with clients to pin down the details of specific customizations, and document precise technical requirements
- Fast learning curve and capacity to get up to speed in new technologies as needed
- Passion for our mission of making government services better for people who need them most
- Strong self management skills and a proven ability to manage multiple engagements simultaneously
- Fundamentally curious and empathetic; able to thoughtfully balance partner, user, and team needs and identify solutions that move the work forward towards greater impact
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with exceptional attention to detail
- Willingness to travel, post Covid
It’s a bonus points if you:
- Experience working with or in government
- Prior experience in a similar partner-facing role (Solutions Architect/Engineer, Sales Engineer, Technical Account Manager, etc)
- Personal experience with or professional experience working within the social safety net, or other mission-relevant government services
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We extend this to our hiring process. This role at this level is ranged from $139,400 – $188,600 in yearly salary. As part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires. That target for this role is $157,850. These ranges and the target are for the San Francisco/Bay Area market and subject to adjustment for cost of living differentials.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.