ALL SOURCEGRAPH ROLES ARE FULLY REMOTE
Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. Our code intelligence platform helps developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. By enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our business is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced exponential growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code intelligence yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it–just like Google). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a location requirement for this role. However, your working hours must overlap with Central Standard Time (CST) or Eastern Standard Time (EST).
This job is an IC4. You can read more about our job leveling philosophy in our Handbook.
Why this job is exciting
As part of the Technical Success organization, Support Engineering (SE) is at the forefront of the customer experience. Our customers simply wouldn’t be successful, happy, long term customers without the important work this team does! SE exists to not only resolve technical issue but educate our customers by answering reactive questions, and by importantly identifying improvements we can make to help improve the product. Our customers are developers and we help them both pre- and post-sales.
Within one month you will…
- Learn about our product, our value propositions, our customers, our team, and our practices.
- Learn how Sourcegraph is deployed (e.g., Kubernetes, scaling, and more), product configuration and integrations, our code base, and common user needs.
- Meet for an initial chat with the teammates you will work with most
- Start working with customers to troubleshoot and solve reported issues (with lots of support and help from your team).
Within three months you will…
- Work with customers to troubleshoot and solve reported issues
- Contribute to improving our product and handbook documentation
Within six months you will…
- Observe trends causing issues for our customers and suggest remedies (for example, what consistent things happen that we can write tooling for…)
- Suggest (and take responsibility for) improvements for team onboarding and ongoing enablement, improving the customer experience, and/or improving the product
You are curious and compassionate. You are a problem solver – you love the moment where you “figure it out”. You are either working toward a career in engineering or you have been doing that and are eager to work more closely with customers.
- Profound curiosity to figure out why something works the way it does / to learn more
- Working experience with Unix/Linux and/or Bash
- Working experience with Kubernetes containerized solutions
- Working experience with code hosts such as GitHub, GitLab and BitBucket
- Strong understanding of databases, especially SQL
- Compassion to meet our customers (who are all developers themselves) where they are, understand their issues, and be compelled to action
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional teams to solve difficult problems for customers
- Proficiency in communicating complex technical ideas and decisions to a variety of audiences (both technical and non-technical)
- 5+ years experience in a similar role
Nice to have
- Foundational knowledge of APIs and/or Git
- Foundational knowledge of cloud computing with AWS, GCP or Azure DevOps
- Experience writing code in Go or another language
- Basic knowledge of or experience with Perforce
We pay you an above-average salary because we want to hire the best people who are fully focused on helping Sourcegraph succeed, not worried about paying bills. You will have the flexibility to work and live anywhere in the world (unless specified otherwise in the job description), and we’ll never take your location or current/past salary information into account when determining your compensation. As an open and transparent company that values equitable and competitive compensation for everyone, our compensation ranges are visible to every single Sourcegraph Teammate. To determine your salary, we use a number of market and data-driven salary sources and target the high-end of the range, ensuring that we’re always paying above market regardless of where you live in the world.
The target compensation for this role is $150,000 USD base.
In addition to our cash compensation, we offer equity (because when we succeed as a company, we want you to succeed, too) and generous perks & benefits.
Below is the interview process you can expect for this role (you can read more about the types of interviews in our Handbook). It may look like a lot of steps, but rest assured that we move quickly and the steps are designed to help you get the information needed to determine if we’re the right fit for you… Interviewing is a two-way street, after all!
- Introduction Stage – we have initial conversations to get to know you better…
- Team Interview Stage – we then delve into your experience in more depth and introduce you to members of the team…
- [60 min] Resume Deep Dive
- [60 min] Peer Interview (Technical Skills and Verbal Communication)
- Final Interview Stage – we move you to our final round, where you will gain a better understanding of our business and values holistically…
And that’s it! Please note – you are welcome to request additional conversations with anyone you would like to meet, but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.
Sourcegraph participates in E-Verify for U.S. Employees