At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for low-income Americans. Over 4 million people use our first product, Fresh EBT, to manage government benefits on their EBT card, save money, and earn income. Read more about the impact of Fresh EBT here, here, and here. This year we are expanding further into the financial services space with the aim of building new products that help our users manage the other aspects of their financial lives.
We’re looking for a Senior Software engineer who wants to build web and mobile platforms for Americans in financial need. The right person for this role is highly knowledgeable about modern web frameworks, having built and maintained something significant with React, Vue, or Angular. This person also must be passionate about working with product and design to create technology that is versatile, delightful, and functional.
Regardless of your background, the right person for this role understands that first-rate software emerges from a relentless focus on getting the details right. And, most importantly, the right person for this role shares our fundamental belief that Americans who are experiencing financial hardship deserve first-rate software.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team, and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
What we offer:
- Immediate opportunity to make an impact
- A get-stuff-done and fun and caring culture
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- Competitive compensation (including equity) and excellent benefits
- A dog-friendly office based in Downtown Brooklyn
What you will do:
- Build software systems used by millions of Americans in their moments of financial need
- Work with our design team to define and create a world-class user experience
- Ensure that our technology works across a range of situations – low-end Android, limited data plans, etc
- Participate in weekly product sprints
- Effectively communicate with team members during code reviews
- Build the culture and processes of a growing engineering team
What you have:
- 3+ years of full stack development
- Experience building out either web or mobile front end infrastructure
- Experience building something substantial with React, Vue, or Angular (our front end is written in VueJS)
- Experience building consumer mobile products at scale, and dealing with the tradeoffs inherent in shipping products to large audiences
- A bias towards writing clean, maintainable, well-crafted code
- A passion for making a difference in the lives of our users