60% of top research organizations trust Cayuse to help them modernize their research administration systems. Cayuse develops SaaS solutions that simplify the business of research administration, helping universities, and research organizations work smarter.
Cayuse empowers globally connected research that reimagines collaboration and drives societal progress. Our platform uniquely addresses the entire hierarchy of research challenges: minimizing risk, driving efficiency, optimizing planning, and enabling world-class, data-driven research management.
Over the past 2 decades, we’ve been on a journey to empower globally connected research. Cayuse has a strong backbone of customer- and employee- focused values that lead to a great working environment, and deliver on our mission: Empower organizations to conduct globally connected research and sponsored projects, advancing their impact on science, discovery, and society.
Job Title: Senior UX Designer
Department: Product Management
Job Type: Full-time
The exciting world of scientific research is fueled by people with a passion for solving complex problems. Cayuse develops SaaS solutions that simplify the business of research administration, helping universities, and research organizations work smarter.
We’re looking for inspired, talented professionals to help us with our ambitious growth plans. Cayuse has a strong backbone of customer and employee focused values that lead to a great working environment. With a strong financial foundation and several new products under development, it’s an exciting time to become a key member of our growing team.
User Experience Designers are responsible for creating and communicating design decisions across all Cayuse products. Their focus covers usability, consistency, accessibility, and a deep understanding of end-users. This is done through iterative processes of user research, design, testing, analysis, iteration, communication, and collaboration.
- Design UI features, patterns, and workflows utilizing a user-centered approach. Find design solutions that: support ease of use; bring clarity to complex workflows; reduce training time for end-users; and are tailored to respond to users’ priorities and pain points.
- Deliver design assets including interactive prototypes and development-ready UI specifications.
- Work with UX, Product, and Engineering teams throughout the development cycle to define, document, and communicate feature requirements. Work with Engineering teams to optimize interactions and design elements in the UI during development, and to release consistent and easy to use features.
- Develop resources for understanding and communicating about the products. These could include: workflow diagrams, site maps, slide decks, and external demos.
Maintain Standards and Compliance
- Assist in writing and maintaining UX documentation including pattern libraries and style guides.
- Work with Engineers to identify and maintain internal best practices in FE development.
- Understand WCAG accessibility requirements and work with Product, Engineering, QA, and other teams to deliver software that’s accessible to everybody.
- Conduct usability testing at the feature level: plan, recruit, and run testing sessions; evaluate and document results; and iterate designs based on findings.
- Perform user research including internal and external interviews, user focus groups, and staying current with customers’ professional proceedings and policy landscape.
- Create and maintain effective information architecture that effectively supports intuitive navigation and information retrieval for a range of user types within complex software systems.
- Five to seven years of user experience design experience for enterprise software or web applications which leverage emergent technologies.
- Two or more years conducting generative and evaluative UX research.
- Strong working knowledge of design and prototyping software such as Figma, Sketch, Axure, or Zeplin.
- A defined personal approach to design – such as User Centered Design, Human Computer Interaction, or Design Thinking – and an ability to articulate the rationale for design decisions.
- Strong written, verbal, and visual communication skills.
- Great attention to detail, conceptual thinking, and adaptability.
- Able to work well independently and with teams.
- Strong working knowledge of graphic design, and familiarity with Adobe Suite.
- Experience designing for frontend frameworks like React or AngularJS.
- Experience with Agile methodology.
- Ability to deliver designs that scale and segment elegantly – designs which can be released incrementally, repeated across features, and resized based on product needs.
- Experience with responsive design and designing for mobile.
- Experience designing for accessibility.
- Experience writing and maintaining design documentation, and a strategic approach to change management in design.
- Experience with service design and systems thinking.
- Experience in academic administration, research administration, or on a research team.
Some key details
- This position will reports to the Director of User Experience.
- Travel to customer on-sites and industry conferences as needed (3%).
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for up to 50% of the time.
- This is a security sensitive position and requires a background check and will need to adhere to the Cayuses Information Security Management System.
- Competitive Medical Benefits (PPO + HSA available)
- Vision, Dental, Short-Term Disability fully covered by Cayuse
- Paid Time Off + Holidays + Flexible Work Schedule
- Remote Work or Commuter Stipend
- Equal Paid Parental Leave
- 401k with Employer Matching
- $30 Wellness Reimbursement
- Remote Work Environment, Supporting the Ultimate Employee Experience
- Fun, innovative Portland Office with Industrious Spirit Offering Kombucha and Cold Brew