SEO Consultant (Remote)
Weedmaps is looking for a freelance SEO expert to help us optimize our pages, create content briefs, and maintain our backlink profile. This is a part-time role at 10-20 hours per week. Please understand that this is not a content writing role – we’re looking for an SEO practitioner that understands keyword research/targeting, technical SEO, and is willing to provide consistent, high-quality SEO deliverables each month.
About backlinks: We use a modern, 2022 approach for backlinking that is in compliance with Google’s guidelines (please: no agencies, PBNs, or pay-for-links. Any pitches for link schemes will be ignored.) When it comes to backlinking, we follow guidance from resources like backlinko. Please not this will be a part time role averaging 10-20 hours per week.
The impact you’ll make:
- Provide high quality page optimizations that follow SEO best practices
- Discover high opportunity content gaps, and write briefs: target keywords, titles, meta descriptions, H1s, PAA questions, content guidance.
- Use approved technologies (Ahrefs, Semrush, Screaming Frog) to run a monthly audit of weedmaps.com backlink profile
- Find high priority broken and “nofollow” backlinks and mentions. Recommend strategies for these opportunities.
- Audit competitor backlink profiles, identifying new opportunities for links to weedmaps.com
- Discover and assist with local SEO linking opportunities
- Identify webmasters and authors for backlinking opportunity outreach, drafting messages for email outreach, tailored to the specific person and page
Expected Monthly Deliverables:
- 10 high-quality content briefs per month: relevant, highly searched topics we have not yet covered
- 50-60 page optimizations per month
- Monthly backlink audit with analysis, best opportunities, and next steps
- 20 recommendations per month for broken backlinks (301 redirect map)
- Find 10 Weedmaps mentions/”nofollow” + site contacts + email drafts per month
- Strong understanding of the SEO basics and how Google ranks pages
- Proven experience with keyword research and targeting, with a strong understanding of site-wide keyword strategy and cannibalization
- You use a modern, 2022 approach to backlinking that is in compliance with Google’s guidelines (please: no agencies, PBNs, or pay-for-links)
- Experience auditing websites and building backlinks for clients
- Experience using Google Search Console (performance, indexing, and enhancement reports)
- Experience using Ahrefs and/or SEMRush for keyword research and backlink analysis
- 2+ years of SEO experience working at an agency, in-house, or contract role
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please inform us if you need assistance participating in the interview process.
WM Technology, Inc.’s (Nasdaq: MAPS) mission is to power a transparent and inclusive global cannabis economy. Now in its second decade, WM Technology has been a driving force behind much of the legislative change we’ve seen in the past 10 years.
Founded in 2008, WM Technology, is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry, comprising a B2C platform, Weedmaps, and B2B software, WM Business. The cloud-based SaaS solutions from WM Business provide an end-to-end operating system for cannabis retailers. WM Business’ tools support compliance with the complex, disparate, and constantly evolving regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. Through its website and mobile apps, WM Technology provides consumers with the latest information about cannabis retailers, brands, and products, facilitating product discovery and driving engagement with our retail and brand customers.
WM Technology holds a strong belief in the power of cannabis and the importance of enabling safe, legal access to consumers worldwide. Since inception, WM Technology has worked tirelessly, not only to become the most comprehensive platform for consumers, but to build the software solutions that power businesses compliantly in the space, to advocate for legalization, social equity, and licensing in many jurisdictions, and to facilitate further learning through partnering with subject matter experts on providing detailed, accurate information about the plant.
Headquartered in Irvine, California, WM Technology supports remote work for all eligible employees. Visit us at www.weedmaps.com.
Notice to prospective Weedmaps job applicants:
Our team has been made aware of incidents involving LinkedIn, Telegram, and Facebook accounts impersonating Weedmaps recruiters. These individuals are attempting to use our company name to solicit payment from prospective candidates interested in applying for jobs at our company. Our team is actively working to combat these attempts, but in the meantime, please be mindful of the following:
- Our recruiters will always communicate with candidates through an @weedmaps.com email address.
- CORRECT: firstname.lastname@example.org
- INCORRECT: email@example.com
- Our recruiters will NEVER ask for or attempt to solicit payment from applicants in order to apply, interview, or work for Weedmaps.
- If you are interested in a role at Weedmaps, please apply through our established channels.
If you are unsure if a communication is legitimate, please contact our recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org and they will happily confirm for you. Thank you for your vigilance and we appreciate your interest in working with us!