Marco Polo is a video chat app created for one simple and significant purpose—to help people feel close.
We are looking for a Server-Side Software Engineer to help us build the next generation of asynchronous video communication and scale out our API services as we continue to grow. You are someone who excels at building high availability auto-scaling services. You are committed to understanding business needs and your users’ experience, so that what you build solves problems in the best possible way. You’re enthusiastic about new tech, but judicious in using it. You delight in making a difference for millions of people in the world and you care about having a joyful work environment.
In this position, you will:
- Help design and build the next generation of asynchronous video chat.
- Collaborate with teammates to build APIs that solve business problems and delight your users.
- Understand in detail how your code affects scalability and network performance.
- Be responsive to live site issues and participate in maintaining a high availability service.
- Triage production performance issues on server infrastructure, maintaining high uptime.
- Sift through logs and root cause problems on client and server.
- Produce solid code, and raise the bar for the whole team on quality and speed.
- Work with a variety of languages, with a special focus on Python.
Ideally, you have:
- 3+ years of relevant experience, especially using Python in a professional setting.
- A strong foundation in computer science, data structures, algorithms and software design.
- The ability to communicate with empathy, and remain calm and even-keeled, especially in a storm.
- Have effective interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills to work successfully in a 100% remote team environment.
- The desire to work in a joyful work environment where you and your teammates look forward to coming to work.
- Humbleness and intellectual curiosity.
You’ll love working here because:
- We’re a purpose-driven company making a difference in the lives of millions of people.
- We have been doing the remote work thing long before it became necessary. We’re good at it and we’ll make sure you are too!
- We move quickly so you’re constantly learning and things never get stale.
- We know good ideas come from everywhere, so we work to ensure every person feels safe to take risks and think outside of the box.
- We offer competitive compensation, including equity, and we’ve got you covered when it comes to your health (medical, vision, dental), finances, and your family (paid family leave).
A bit about us:
Marco Polo is private video chat for your real relationships – not the entire world. Our video chat app allows you to send a video message at your convenience, and your friend or family member can send back whenever they can. With millions of people already benefiting from this new way of using technology to nurture their relationships, we’re proving that we can reject harmful but profitable business practices and build products that are good for you.
In June 2020, we launched Marco Polo Plus, a subscription plan that offers a premium experience. We aim to be a sustainable business while remaining free in a way that upholds our brand promise to be good for you. Plus delivers on our promise to monetize without ads or selling user data.
Though our backgrounds are diverse, we share a belief—lives flourish when people feel close. That common inspiration keeps us aligned with our purpose as a team, which is scattered across 16 states (so far), coast-to-coast throughout North America.
The distance doesn’t slow us down. We keep the engine humming from our homes, co-working spaces, and coffee shops—connecting with daily Zoom calls, and retreats. Whether collaborating through Slack, video calls, or of course Marco Polo, our team knows how to keep connected—it’s what we do best!
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We can add teammates from anywhere in North America.