At Fonoa, we automate taxes for the internet economy. If you want to launch a business today, there are plenty of products out there to help you get going – from Stripe for payments to Twilio for customer engagement.
How come figuring out taxes is so hard? Why isn’t there an easy way to implement a solution to handle all your taxes on products and services sold worldwide?
Our product suite enables determining indirect tax rates on any sales transaction, creating localized compliant receipts & invoices, and reporting them to tax authorities.
Our mission is to automate repetitive and fragmented manual tasks conducted by finance teams and developers via an easy to use API.
We are expanding our global presence and looking for many new team members to join us!
About the role
We are looking for an engineer proficient in CI/CD methodologies, experienced with public cloud and scripting languages, to join our distributed (remote) team.
In your role, you will be in charge of designing, implementing, and improving our cloud infrastructure to support our microservices platform. Keeping our service fast, reliable, and secure while using the latest technology and processes is of utmost importance.
At Fonoa, you’ll work to enable our product and engineering teams to spin up, maintain, and monitor the necessary infrastructure they need to run our applications and services.
The ideal candidate has a background in developing distributed applications, cloud technologies, and delivering self-service infrastructure.
As our second SRE / Platform Engineer, you’ll get the opportunity to choose and implement a variety of cool technologies that will help us improve and streamline our infrastructure and processes.
We are solving one of the largest yet unsolved problems in global e-commerce and looking for engineers with a hunger for a new challenge and drive to solve a ubiquitous problem for companies selling globally. Our clients range from world-leading marketplaces, e-commerce, delivery to household-name mobility companies.
- Architecture – evaluate, architect, and implement technology options for cloud management of our enterprise SaaS API products
- Observability – monitor and analyze our infrastructure and applications with open-source or best of breed paid tools; troubleshoot, maintain and enhance our platform
- Performance – ensure we have optimized our infrastructure taking into account our product needs, pricing, scalability, smooth customer and developer experience
- Security – ensure we continuously improve our security by leveraging best practices and tools available
- Automation – develop our automated CI/CD, packaging, deployment and execution environment infrastructure (scaling, recovery, etc.)
Skills & Experience
You are the right fit if you have
- Full professional proficiency in English, written and spoken
- Experience in Platform Engineering, SRE, and/or DevOps positions
- Experience with at least one programming language, coupled with related automation projects, preferably Go or Python
- Experience with the advanced features of public cloud platforms such as Azure, AWS or GCP
- Experience with the Infrastructure as Code framework and tools such as Terraform, Chef, Ansible, SaltStack or Puppet
- Experience on CI/CD with tools such as Travis, Gitlab, AWS, Azure, Jenkins, CircleCI
- Experience managing databases, both relational and non-relational
- Experience with serverless computing, such as Azure Functions or AWS Lambda
- Experience with containers and container orchestration frameworks, such as Docker, Kubernetes, and Helm
- Experience building distributed, failure-resistant architecture, including disaster recovery, backups, failover, etc.
The tech stack (you might have worked with, but will learn here if you haven’t)
- Azure Cloud to run our serverless workloads, now looking to transition to a container-based architecture with Docker and Kubernetes
- Azure DevOps as our CI system, with GitHub as our main code repository
- Terraform Cloud to automate our infrastructure
- DataDog and Azure Insights as our observability tools
- A very competitive compensation package including equity
- Ability to work from any place in the world
- A budget to purchase any equipment you need to do your job properly or access to a co-working space
- An annual, expenses paid global meetup of the Fonoa team somewhere fun in the world (post-Covid)
- A place on a rocketship backed by best-in-class VCs and operators innovating in an overlooked and unsexy area and doing it profitably and sustainably
- A community and culture of builders and problem solvers
- Fonoa is a fully remote company and team members working across 9 different countries in a fully-distributed way
- Flexible hours, set your own schedule that fits you
- Best ideas win, no matter who expresses them
- Builder’s first mindset. We give everyone a lot of autonomy to think of and deliver on their ideas
- We move fast and enable small teams to ideate, prototype, test, and iterate quickly
- Flat structure, excited team members, great incentives, no corporate BS
- We value writing, mental clarity, and neat digital organization skills
- We nurture asynchronous communication enabling everyone in the team to organize their work however they see fit
Remote but has to be between UTC-1 and UTC+3. Please don’t apply if you can’t fit your long-term schedule during those working hours. However, we will soon be expanding our preferred time zones, so stay tuned!
We only accept applications from individuals. We are not looking for outsourcing agencies. Any request or application from companies will not be processed.
More about Fonoa
At Fonoa, we automate taxes for platforms, marketplaces, digital service providers, and e-commerce globally.
With our software, we help our clients reduce manual workload, cost of operations and compliance, and optimize their revenue.
Fonoa is serving small and large companies worldwide and helping their developer, tax, and operations teams handle the tax complexities quickly, in an easy to implement and user-friendly way.
Fonoa is a technology startup founded in 2018 which launched its SaaS product in mid-2019. We have paying customers, a healthy pipeline, and backing from world-class VC funds and business angels from Europe and the US.
We are a remote-first team working across 9 countries (and we will continue to do so well after Covid). We focus on building best in class products based on observed customer needs and previous industry experience. Our team has an excellent track record of solving challenging problems at companies such as Uber, McKinsey, Trivago, Rocket Internet, and EY.